Hadidjah Chamberlin - Hearthstone FX reels

Hey all! I’ve been trying to get 'round to putting together VFX reels as the Hearthstone sets I’ve worked on have been coming out… I’m still playing catch up, but here’s the first one I did extensive work on!
Everything’s done in Unity, using largely out-of-the-box Shuriken, some custom shaders, and PlayMaker. And of course there’s a whole posse of other wonderful artists doing the beautiful cards, boards, etc., and the many many shaders and textures that I filch for my FX. :slight_smile:

https://vimeo.com/203636197

Here’s an image so the thumbnail works:

29 Likes

Beautiful work! I thoroughly enjoy hearthstone and all the VFX that goes into it!

Thank you! :smiley: Always stoked to hear people are enjoying the game!

Very inspiring stuff Hadidjah! I can’t wait to see what the next adventure for Hearthstone is.

Lovely … Superb FX. I love playing heartstone for its FX and those interactive boards :slight_smile:

The hearthstone fx look great! I’m guessing it’s quite challenging to develop for pc/mobile at the same time, whilst keeping up this level of visual quality…

Thank you! We’re very lucky to have a pretty exceptional Tech Artist, he laid a lot of the groundwork for there to be very little we ever have to branch to make something work with both. Lots of very well-optimized shaders and one hand always on the Overdraw view. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, thanks! And our board artists will be very happy to hear that. :smiley:

Doofy image, but here’s the view we mostly see the boards at. https://twitter.com/Zwickarr/status/413413980091076608

1 Like

A truly inspirational reel! Everything looks awesome! :smiley:

Thanks man! Means a lot from someone with as many mad Unity skills as you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally got time to finish another! Here’s a bunch of the stuff I did for Mean Streets of Gadgetzan. :smiley:

9 Likes

I absolutely love how snappy some of these effects are.

All aboard the hype train for Un’goro! :smiley:

2 Likes

I watch your work weekly! :slight_smile:
I kind of wish there were cards that would effect the board…like leave cracks behind.

Looks great, I particularly like the dust effect on the cards at 0:07. they look quite volumetric.

I don’t know if it’s just my computer or Vimeo being a pain but is the frame rate occasionally jittery?

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@William_Mauritzen I actually see a lot of people asking for just that! Why do you think that would be a cool addition to the current transient summoning animations/fx? Are there cards already out that you think deserve the fancy PermFX™ treatment? :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol My computer and Fraps have an ongoing feud, it’s probably just my recordings and not a commentary on your computer or Vimeo’s streaming abilities. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I highly recommend OBS as a recording program.
So easy, and sooo good.

1 Like