Geckoh2o: Sketch #35

Finished Preview:

WorkFlow:

Well better late than never.

I’m knocking out two birds with one stone and sharing my first WIP with the monthly Sketch. I have no real reference for this effect I’m sorta just making it up as I go. I definitely plan to add more interesting details such as runes and an explosion hopefully by the end of the month.

8 Likes

The color and first few elements give me the impression of some sort of water-themed teleport. What if the dome kinda “rises up”, revealing that it’s actually a sphere/bubble that implodes/bursts and teleports the object away? There could be ribbons around the sphere/bubble as it is performing the teleportation? Just something that popped into my head. I made a very rough quick sketch, forgive my horrible drawing abilities. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Love the sketch. I didn’t think to make the bubble implode but I actually wanna try it out. I’m thinking I should try doing it using a shader rather than just shrinking the mesh. Besides that, we were on the same wavelength. I have the bubble floating now and I added step edges to the scrolling shaders that I’m controlling via custom data. And I’m gonna mess with ribbons and color palette later.

3 Likes

Added some much needed character and flare to this effect.

Scrolling shaders galore!

This sketch has done wonders for expanding my knowledge of vertex streams and materials. And I think I’m pretty satisfied with this anticipation effect. Now to actually teleport something!

3 Likes

One last update.

This was quite the undertaking. First I made a lot of style changes. I decided to move the scrolling texture from the rune circle to the orb and remove the cracks among some other smaller changes. I wanted the effect to shatter but I wouldn’t really learn anything doing that. So per @CuddlyBunny 's recommendation, I spent all day figuring out how to use displacement vertex. I almost gave up, but by accident, I found out I could multiply noise and shrink the vertex with a single vector1. And I’m controlling that vector 1 with a custom data stream within a sub graph.

Voila!
A somewhat janky implosion effect. But I definitely plan to add more oomph to it later.

3 Likes

Alrighty, I think I can call this finished!

I had a blast making this effect and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I’ll be honest, I didn’t plan to turn this teleport into a Black Hole but it just sorta ended up that way. I think this style was much more fun to play with than what I had in mind originally, and I learned a whole lot more about shaders that I will apply to other VFX down the road.

For the functionality, I used Untiy’s animator tool timed with the particle system controlled by a single script that also deletes the game object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxHWwKUzuWo

10 Likes