Dabo: Sketch#2

Hello,
I need some practice, so I’m going to work through these old sketch challenges. For this challenge, I chose the wisp.

Here is my first attempt:

Some things I’d still like to do:

• Work in some of those drippy elements
  • Set up a Timeline to trigger his ground impact more consistently (Currently toggling it by eye at runtime :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • Swap those trailing flames for ribbons
  • Cut the idle from 3 loops down to 2

This is the main bit of reference for the Wisp, mainly for elements and treatment:

Any critique or questions are welcome, and thanks for your time!

EDIT: I should mention that I am (mis)using a slightly modified version of @HAlisMaster shader for the core mesh and the flames. I’m probably preaching to the choir, but his site is a goldmine for shader breakdowns!

I haven’t quite gotten the hang of the shader yet… so the uv scrolling is synced across particles. I’ll add custom vertex streams to the todo list!

Sneaking this into the main post for a more appropriate thumbnail:
Wisp_02

7 Likes

Hello again!

Here’s round 2:
https://youtu.be/bqk8_6sO588

The following changes:

• Vertex streams for random value + particle life added to the flames + shader
  • Added trail to main body, and removed the emit over distance flames
  • Set up that Timeline, shortened the idle, and moved the cam closer
  • Gave the impact sparks a bit more breathing room
  • Eased in the point light intensity at the start to prevent the blinding flash

I tried adding some dripping from the ref, but it stuck out against the rest of motion, so I axed it!

I also set up a custom ShaderGUI to tighten up the inspector formatting a bit:

And finally… Unity’s URP Bloom is 19 Set Pass Calls :fearful:, and there doesn’t seem to be an option for iterations anymore. There are some cool tutorials out there on custom post fx; a good opportunity for learning, I think!

4 Likes