Chad Pennings : Sketch #38

Hi everyone, this is my first RT VFX Challenge submission. The main Inspiration was a trail I found on this site from Simon Trümpler ( Simon Trümpler: Sketch #20 WIP ). The goal was to keep a toon look throughout the whole effect using squash + stretch, exaggerated timing, and vibrant colors. Here is the result: comet_updated2

1 Like

For the trail, I created a sprite sheet with After Effects and GlueIT and then turned it into a flipbook trail in Unity. comet_fire

2 Likes

For the model, I assigned the UVs to an RGB texture so that I could get access to the different portions in side the shader graph.

For the explosion, I multiplied a gradient with a noise and voronoi that scroll at different rates and brought them into a posterize node to give it a stylized look. I used the multiply node that is connected to my sample texture as my dissolve, the darker I made the sample texture the less would be visible.

I used a similar method for the effect surrounding the comet, but I multiplied it with a seamless squiggle texture to make it appear like scrolling rings going up the comet.

For the whirlwind, I brought in a seamless posterized texture and applied that to a disk and then adjusted the power of the texture with a linear gradient to make the whirwind disappear from the center first and work it’s way toward the outer edge.

1 Like