Alex Fedorov: Sketch #16

Hi everyone. My first post here =)
Decided to take a participation in this sketch.
Wanted to make something like Swarm Shield. Where a number of flying creatures are all around you so nothing can hurt you. Original idea came up when I was playing Gears of War. But this is a bit different take in style.
Current state:

State 1:

Next steps:
-Try to add some refraction to it
-Make it more shieldy with well defined shape of the effect
-Try to make some hit reaction

35 Likes

Cool! how’d you animate the critters? I imagine it was some world displacement?

Looks real creepy haha, i’m excited to see where this goes!

hey what’s the software that you use

Yes. Each creature is a lowpoly model. Vertex paint defines how much rotation is needed around creatures center (for simplicity I didn’t make different pivot points for limbs).
Red channel defines rotation around X axis, blue - around Y axis. Also there are numbers in green channel to flag rotation clockwise or counterclockwise.
Then a combination of sine waves in shader defines rotation of vertices for the world offset.
The movement itself was done mainly with Vortex Velocity module in Unreal Niagara system.
bird

5 Likes

3ds MAX for modelling, Substance Designer for textures.
Unreal Engine for the rest. Effect is done fully with Niagara. Rendered in Unreal.

1 Like

Made some improvements:
-Added a little more density in effect around character.
-Added a little refraction. As a lovely side effect - this also caused a nice rim light for particles.
-Made a hit reaction. Creatures gather interactively to a hit point, like they are blocking damage.

Probably will consider it done. Will upload a more high res versions soon.

13 Likes

The creatures gathering up at the hit point was a very nice touch! This is a pretty awesome shield!

Thank you very much! =)

Uploaded a more high res version

15 Likes

This looks sooo cool, very badass :smiley: Nice work.

Really nice ! I’m willing to play that badass pagan necromancer :stuck_out_tongue:

That effect is really qualitative :open_mouth: ! How did you make the bats follow that path? and how did you make them gather at the hit point?

Nice job!

He mentioned he used a Vortex Velocity module in Unreal’s new Niagra particle system. They are probably velocity-oriented meshes, so they always face the circular path they are traveling

1 Like

@Travis is right. Vortex Velocity module in Niagara handles creatures circular movement.
To make them gather at some point I use Point Attraction Force module available in Niagara. It applies a force to a point to all particles. Or from a point if the value is negative.
So I created exposed parameters for this emitter. They are a vector (point in the world to attract creatures) and a float (force to apply). In a separate Blueprint which references this Niagara System in scene I created a Timeline to set different points of attraction and different force values based on time of hit events.

2 Likes

Owh well… that’s actually really easy :open_mouth: i should start testing out niagara. Thanks!