About Fire from infernal Velkoz

Hi, I have a question about the newly released infernal vel’koz’s ult.
This is the reference:

I guessed it is random firey shapes, with alpha erosion on them.
This is my attempt:

using these textures, I subtracted from it’s alpha by life.

but the result was being too stiff, making it not-so-like fire.
can anyone help me with this?

11 Likes

You actually got it right, the only problem here came from your texture.
Try to avoid sharp edges and place the whites part close to the centers.

And then, set your particles closers to each others and play with the size

1 Like

Try adding a bit of bloom, using postprocessing or faking it by changing the texture a bit. Also, I’d suggest you to give it some contrast, let the core of the flame be more intense in both color and value!

2 Likes

If you want to fade it smoother, you could not only subtract, but also multiply alpha with vertex color alpha. That way the particles will both subtract and fade. :smiley:

1 Like

Adding to what Joan, Lush and Lime said, you can also:

• use a SmoothStep instead of a subtract for your opacity, which will give you a soft edge erode
  • use a color lookup gradient to give you the light orange in the center and the darker red on the edges
  • use a second separate SmoothStep for your emissive, so you can erode out your color values at a different rate than your opacity.
3 Likes

Thank you all for these! This is what I came up with:
just got these two textures, multiplied first one as alpha which is subtracted over time.
1 2

well, for the colors, I need to work on them more :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Excellent ! you got it !

1 Like

Awesome, you got it pretty much exactly right!

Here are the exact textures from Infernal Velkoz.

The only subtle difference is that the centre of the fire shapes are yellow, and the edges are red.

(Please do not use this texture for any commercial application)

The erosion map is painted with almost layers to it, there are kind of steps of flat values. This makes it have almost a hand animated appearance, as it quickly changes between each stage:

These textures were painted by David Hall

12 Likes

Oh, so the erosion was kind of stepped alpha?
thank you so much:) it was huge help!

ps. I used erosion method of multiplying by dissolve power and saturating it, and gets very hard edges. Is this how you do the erosion?