Personal Progress FX - Chris Nordgren

Yes I totally agree. I will look into not blooming the gems to much. Thank you for pointing it out

Here is some new exploadable objects:

24 Likes

Very nice ! What is your approach on the missiles path finding? The AI looks really neat and nicely randomized, I would love to check a breakdown or short tutorial on it ^^

Cheers,

The initial locator has randomized rotation values and pushes the rigidbody missile with AddForce.

The projectile uses
GameObject.Find(target)
transform.LookAt(target)

Adding force onto the missile speed against target, which also gets multiplied through time to add speed.

I hope this makes sense!

I might do a breakdown later on once I get the pieces up on a better portfolio-reel state :slight_smile:

5 Likes

wow. ā€¦ just wow ā€¦ look at those colors and impacts <3 loved it

1 Like

Nice way of thinking, I didnā€™t realize the cube rotate until you wrote it. Its now making sense , cool simple approach. Well done bro!

ey thanks @iNoob and @Ohadgfx

I got a bit inspired by @veer and his thread about sword attacks (WIP - Sword Slash Attack :) - #3 by veer)

So I went and made a simple one also, gonna see what I can conjure up later on

12 Likes

More experiments with the slash effects

8 Likes

I finally got around and made a reel for the latest effects I made

I am starting to get so much material I am not sure what I should include. I thought I wanted to use Ayablaze footage( http://i.imgur.com/fM2VMKV.gif). Because its much more of a collaborate effort. Iā€™ve excluded the gems, for now. I want to have more effects and possibly stronger UI elements.

Please if you have any feedback, comments or thoughts I am more than happy to hear them.

8 Likes

The slash effect is sooo pretty! This catches my eye and I canā€™t stop looking at it though:

maybe just fade it out before it gets to that point if it canā€™t be resolved.

Youā€™re stuff has a style of its own, I really dig it :slight_smile:

Youā€™re work is fantastic, as others have said your timing and use of colours is great. How you represent such clear shapes in such a small amount of timeā€¦ beautiful.

Iā€™ll likely be trying to recreate some of your effects here to get better at these aspects myself, assuming thatā€™s all good. Iā€™d love to know more about your process.

Keep up the excellent work friend :slight_smile:

@NateLane Thank you for pointing out that issue. Its something Iā€™ve been actively been struggling but I decided to just record it and see if anyone would notice it same way I did. I will find a solution and re-record it whenever I get a opening! :slight_smile:

@Agilethief I would love to see your effects that might be inspired by mine.
I have gotten requests to make my assets available for purchase in asset store, I am not suggesting you to buy them, I just want to share what I am doing and if it would be useful for you.
All effects are technically all made with shuriken particle systems and using unity components that are made for free. except Shader Forge.

I base my effects a lot on http://the12principles.tumblr.com/ . I usually try to enhance elements using those principles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cartoon explosion pack I am currently looking into for unity asset store.

A few people have requested having those explosions available for assetstore

I was thinking 4 different colors, 4 shape variations, making sure they are resizeable.
Is there any suggestions or thoughts anyone would think of?

Maybe a version with less particles or similar?

5 Likes

Could the colour simply be a parameter they can set somewhere (start/end color?).
Small/Med/Large variants would probably be better than just resizing it (but scaling from there probably useable).
Perhaps add some generic debris.

I was also thinking if I can just let the customer be able to customize the start/end color, I earlier came to the conclusion that the effect wonā€™t be as good if the colors look to off if a customer did it. But when you commented about it, it got me thinking that in most cases the explosions will probably look worse, but if the customer wants it that way, Its her/his choice.

I want to thank you for commenting about that feature, it made me really think how to approach such a workflow and voila

(sorry about the greenscreen effect gifcam just canā€™t seem to get it right)
The script seems to work just fine and I am super happy that I even figured out a way to script this #push_it_to_the_limit.

Debris/ spikes is a visual element that I will add. Possibly make a generic rock mesh that flies out also.

Also your suggestion about Small/Med/Large Variants, I assume its like:
increasingly amount of particles in a larger scale so the fire/smoke/flare feel similar between sizes.

Fast example:
For example: The small explosion only contains 10 smoke particles.
The medium explosion contains 25 smoke particles (because its a larger area)
While the large explosion contains 50 smoke particles (because it even a larger area).

I assume you mean like that, its something I will totally look into.

2 Likes

Yeah, exposing this is nice (and at least they can balance the vfx saturation with the environment palette without getting their hands too dirty), I like the blue explosion/purple spark combo in your GIF!

At a basic level yes, but think about extending particle lifetimes (bigger explosions would take longer to dissipate?), scaling up particles and increasing the detail within to avoid too much repetition compared to spawning 50.

At a basic level yes, but think about extending particle lifetimes (bigger explosions would take longer to dissipate?), scaling up particles and increasing the detail within to avoid too much repetition compared to spawning 50.

Ah yes ofcourse, that is something I also had in mind when making the different sizes. I am eager to post the latest changes, but I must strain myself for a little while so I have something worthwhile to show, I have currently sent the package for review.

I am also thinking about starting a new thread more dedicated into the asset store workflow and maybe use this one more as ā€¦ well a personal progress thread.

Just a screen from the explosion pack I am making

Also more hit fx things for the next pack.

Might be the last fx thing before I make a new thread.
Just waiting for that review process

9 Likes

okay I thought I showcase this one because its cool

5 Likes

I remember when I said that I was gonna start a new thread.
I am blaming unity for taking so long time reviewing

9 Likes

So good as usual ^^. Iā€™m actually curious, did you animate the characters yourself or pick them up online somewhere?