Yoli: Sketch #63

Hi! I haven’t posted on this forum in a looong time, so please bear with me as I figure it out again lol. I’m between jobs right now, so I have a lot of time to actually try and attempt one of these challenges for the first time! (…at least, I THINK it’s my first time, lol.) [edit: i lied. apparently i did one other one like 30something challenges ago, but it wasnt very memorable, hence why i forgot lmao]

I don’t actually have any effects made yet, I just have this sketch page where I was trying to come up with ideas. I’m going to try to do more than just a projectile, since I tend to make those a lot. I’m thinking maybe lightning so I can practice some flipbooky effects, or a toony water blast? I don’t really know yet :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m hoping posting about this and seeing other people’s work will keep me motivated to see it through! Looking forward to seeing what other people make :]

[I suppose I ended up giving up on this one :') I just couldn’t find the inspiration or direction to see it through… perhaps next time!]

Oki doki, baby update with what I’m playing with today, which still isn’t really at the knockback part lol. I immediately got sick with covid for a week, and I’m still sick now, but I’m trying to just jump back in and do SOMETHING, even if it’s only a little bit and looks kinda janky.
I’m trying the lightning route! Mostly because I do not have a lot of experience doing lightning related fx, and also because I want to try doing more hand drawn, flipbook type fx. which I am not good at in the slightest lol, so it’s not going to be perfect or the prettiest thing in the world, but how else am I gonna learn to make them if I don’t suck at it a little first :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m roughly sketching out a flipbook to work with first

and I threw it in a quick material and niagara system just to see what it looked like
lightningprogress_1

I think I spent more time trying to figure out making the gif than I did the actual effect lol. It’s real rough right now, mostly just trying to figure out the blocking or whatever. Trying to reteach myself to learn without totally panicking :grimacing:

i think i wanna rough out the rest before i try to make things look pretty… like the actual knocking back part, lol. we’ll see what happens next

1 Like