Wind Effect / breaking sonic barrier. Need help with the texture?

I am trying to create a dash effect, with some exaggerated wind effect like breaking the sonic barrier or something.

This is what I have:

windd

this reference looks somehow more interesting.

I feel like my noise is too soft. The edge fades are probably fine, but I think the gradient should have more variety or “steepness”?

I created it seamless in 3D Designer:

and this is the Unity Shader:

Anyone have tips for interesting wind textures?

Just an idea: Since your texture has a diagonal pattern, it creates this movement around the object. Maybe that is intentional, but I’d try it out with having the texture only move from front to back with a tiny bit of noise maybe. In real life the wind wouldn’t circle around the object.

On a side note there is a recent documentary about the Apollo 11 Launch and that had some of the coolest wind effect I’ve ever seen (when the rocket launched and was close to maximum pressure).

Here’s unrestored footage. https://youtu.be/dhTvadtW2dc?si=rKmTFru0lrlLsBbg&t=2123

Thanks for the video. Real air always looks very fluffy.
I want a more stylized look I think.
Overthrown has something that is similar, looks a bit rotational as well.

dash2-ezgif.com-optimize

I tried fully straight lines before, was a bit boring…

Made some changes. Added a 2nd Layer with a different texture (well, packed them in a channel each) for straight lines.

Also added a scale effect (scaled along normals in vertex stage) for the whole mesh.

Finally, I added a subtle smoothstep to make the shape a bit clearer, but added some overall alpha to the mix. So you see the distinct (smoothstepped) lines but you still see the whole roundish shape. All of that fades out towards the tail though.

dash4-ezgif.com-optimize
dash5-ezgif.com-optimize

For today I’m satisfied with the improvements. Still open for feedback/suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like