Why are the spikes turned in different directions?

A simple effect where when a character gets angry his body becomes covered
spikes. But they turn in some random direction, and not where the
vertex normal.

I will be glad to any ideas.

1 Like

VFX settings

In the Init Mesh Orientation, you need to set the “Mesh Orientation Vector” to the Sampled Normal from the skeletal mesh Module

My guess would be this

the particle isn’t in the skeletal mesh’s local space, so you probably shouldn’t be applying in that space.

Drew’s solution is a good workaround if you can’t fix it in the skeletal mesh node itself

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Decided to test on a simpler object, where there are no complex bends. The advice with using Sampled Normal gave positive results, but there are problems.
0903(1)

Here are my settings, I don’t know if I did everything correctly, but it is in these parameters that there are improvements

Thanks for your reply. I tried different parameters and had to disable it.

Since the character is moving, the location of the spikes needs to be updated, but when I turn on this parameter, complete randomness occurs

Maybe this parameter teleports them from another vertex?
0903(4)

MAybe watching a tutorial like this one would be helpful with updating your info

Unfortunately, I did not find the information I needed in this video tutorial. But I still found a solution, I had to copy the module script “Initial mesh rotation” and remake it so that it could work in Particle Update. Thanks everyone!

1 Like