"What Color is Slow?" PAX Dev Panel

Hey everyone! I put together this talk for PAX Dev last month, and it is now on YouTube! I couldn’t be more proud of the work we all put in. @Bryanna, Eric Greenlief, and Tina Hottovy all totally killed it with their contributions. I couldn’t have asked for a better bunch of panelists.

It’s called “What Color Is Slow?” and it discusses the role of VFX as it exists between Art and Design.

(I even give RealtimeVFX a little shoutout at some point!)

31 Likes

Glad to see this posted, thank you Sarah. :slight_smile: Loved doing this with you, tina and eric!

2 Likes

Love it! Thank you for sharing @smgrissom.

I’m going to move it into the resources category so it’s archived for all to find!

2 Likes

Very very interesting resource!!
Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

That was fantastic, I particularly liked the format of seeing how different artists approached similar issues.
I agree with you completely that a lot of VFX work is communication and problem solving. Personally I think that makes VFX really quite interesting and a whole lot of fun.

It also seemed like the video cut off at the end?

Thanks for sharing!

It totally was cut off! :frowning2: I went ahead and re-uploaded the FULL version so you get to see the rest of Tina’s design challenge and all of Eric’s. Plus some wrap up and Q&A at the end :slight_smile:

Sorry for the confusion!!

3 Likes

Awesome thanks so much! Gonna watch it straight away!
Happy it got sorted :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for posting this one! :blush: clever opinions from every speaker, interesting how everyone has a different view on what is “slow”, if this is not scripted :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting! Thank you for sharing @smgrissom :+1:

1 Like

Yeah! When I posed the question, I had a couple of ideas about what the answers could be, but it all boils down to “well, it depends” hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Very cool talk! Was an interesting watch : 0 iv never tried doing slow as desaturation… gotta give that a shot sometime.

Nice Panel, I like the moderation and how the artist has all a different way. This speaks also a lot about of our Work, everyone has a different approach, depend on Game, Tools, method and Company rules. I like to see more procedures how one goal can achieve.

Maybe we can also start a Special Thread for Naming / Rule (Colors, Styles) and other stuff that are established over time.
I know that any of them are in the Realtime VFX Dictionary Project: are exist but maybe we can do it clearer.

2 Likes

You already know most of my thoughts on this, but I just wanted to chime in and mention how great this talk was.

I’ll definitely check out that Realtime VFX dictionary project, it is definitely true that we lack a standardized language.

3 Likes

Great talk! I used to work with Eric, so I was super interested in watching this. Really loved seeing different perspectives in vfx creation.

1 Like