Weapon VFX Need Feedback

ArcAngel3_1
ArcAngel3_3

2 Likes

You’ve done an amazing job here, I especially like how the core of the sword is breathing. I don’t think this needs anything else really if it’s a game ready asset, what’s it for?

I really appreciated for the feedback! It was for my Real-time VFX portfolio.

If it’s for a portfolio I’d recommend finding a way to make it flashier, it works as a game ready asset because it’s not overly noisy but for portfolio I believe flashy, over-the-top fx works best, I’d recommend looking at this Hovl’s Sketchbook to get an idea for where to take it if you choose to. Lots of really amazing vfx on that, plus a couple of sword fx’s like yours.

1 Like

Hello! Do you still need a feedback or was it posted in your portfolio already?

Of course you can give it. I’m looking forward!

1 Like

You’ve done a very wonderful job! Your take on a blade is outstanding thoug it is just a trick that has nothing to do with VFX artist scills but adds extra spice and tells me you have a wonderful taste)
I would reccomend to widen your trails and add an extra multipying texture, distortion or vertex displacement (or all above :smile:) in connection with your knowledge, shader abiblities and potential perfomance requirements.
One of the main features of an effect is a silhuette. Your’s is working good but you can add an extra value by adding the same trail with 90 degrees rotation same UV. You can offset that texture via custom data or parameters if your shader allows to do that.
You can increase it’s width and make it’s propotions better related to the sword as shown on a screeenshot.
Also it would be nice to extend your idle effect coming from the center and add an exrra wave that triggers in synchorinse with sparks (as shown in screenshot).
Top trails also could be expanded in mass and value.
After all, you’ve done an amasing job with shape, neagtive space and color. You have an enormous potential! Good luck, Sir!

1 Like

I really like the idea of idle aura effect. Also I tried to make my mesh like + for adding more depth but I couldn’t make it work since it was a curve that I’ve turned into a mesh. Also I’m %100 with you about my trail meshes scale.

I really liked your artistic eye! Can you give me a feedback about this effect too if you don’t mind?

1 Like