VFX salary UK

Maybe this is a stupid question but I swear I have no idea about this job salary in UK. May I know it’s 30k £ per month or per year?

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t checked replies in a while. After negotiating I accepted the offer at £31K. I’m pretty excited to work at that company so things are working out well!
Thanks for all your advice, you’ve been very helpful.

1 Like

Just stumbled upon this and wanted to share my thoughts:
I think between 30k and 32k is a good salary for a junior VFX artist in the UK.
However there are some factors not directly related to salaries, which are important as well.
-Holidays
-Health Insurance
-Living Costs
-Benefits

For example, in Germany 25-30 holidays are the norm (not sure about France) , so if you move to the UK and start with 22/24 days in the UK, your salary should compensate for that.
Opposite goes for when coming from the US. You suddenly will get a lot more holidays, so a lower salary might be fine.

Same goes for healthcare. Your company might offer private healthcare in addition to the NHS, which might make it okay to go a bit lower on salary.
When comparing with US salaries healthcare is really the most important point to keep in mind. Healthcare is incredibly important (as we can see quite clearly at the moment), and if you have to pay for everything out of your own pocket, your salary should compensate for it.

Living expenses should always be compensated by your salary. You will live much cheaper on the outskirts than in the city center, but even then, London, Oxford and Cambridge are massively more expensive to live in, than the rest of the UK.

Fortunately for us, VFX artists are rare. Good ones all the more. So you will always be in a good position to negotiate. Also in the future, when it comes to promotions etc. It’s never wrong wanting the best life possible for yourself, even if it’s involving a few unpleasant/uncomfortable chats.

Happy for you, you found a good job! And welcome to the UK! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back when I was working for – Games (Can’t disclose the name but they were a 45 minute train ride outside Manchester). I was being paid just over 28K before Tax.

There were benifits including
-Holidays
-Health Insurance
-Benefits
-Pension Plan
-Over Time / Flex time

They were in serious need of VFX artist but I was young and needed a stable job so I want for them.

Now I live in Canada with less benefits and no overtime but being paid more than double what I original earned at a medium level job.

Thanks for the advice!
When comparing between France and the UK I did compensate for holidays and living costs but also for hours worked. In France I’m at a 35h work week vs 37.5 in the UK and in Germany I worked 40h.

Yea my first job didn’t pay super well but I had just gotten out of school so it was still better than an internship paying under minimum wage.