VFX Reel - BrianH, Updated! Looking for some more feedback!

Hey all!

I really appreciated all the feedback last time, so I figured I’d do a quick update with where everything is now. There’s not t0o many large changes, I’ve been mostly focusing in on making timing and such feel better, so speeding up allot of things, and making things hit harder/more feedback. Also took a crack at responding to all the feedback I’ve gotten already, so if you all think I should push it more, let me know!

Thanks in advance for any help/crit!

6 Likes

That last effect is really sweet!

I feel like on some of these you need to play with the velocities. For example, the fireball starts to slow down as it heads to hit the target. Feels a bit weird to me.

Thats greally good work for a start-up. Keep it up!

Nice stuff, I like what I see.

Here is my two cents.

1. It’s all staff spells. While certainly cool more diversity in effects would be nice to see.
  2. The icicle spell (5 seconds) the staff swings just a moment too late it would be great to pull it in just a moment.
  3. The lightning (38 seconds) feels a bit too liquidy for lightning, this really comes down to personal taste though.
  4. The lightning orb pop (41 seconds) feels like it does not have enough energy, and should rather pop/explode with more force.
  5. The spherical fire effect (48 seconds) looks great, however perhaps you should feather the edges out (Effectively discussed here) This really is just to soften the effect and hide the tell tale signs of using a mesh sphere.

Overall I do like your effects, I would encourage you to make use of the principles of animation within your effects.
Mainly
-Anticipation
-Follow Through
-Timing

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback all, I’ll work on folding it in! And yeah I completely agree with the diversity, I really want to add some more in soon, I’ve been really wanting to tie some effects to a full character, and I’m hoping to be able to throw some of those in as well when I get it up and running. :smiley:

Gonna respond down here as well to give it a bump! I made some updates to my effects based on the wonderful feedback you all gave me last time, and I was hoping I could get some more if you all have the time! I’m also working on some stuff away from the staff that will hopefully be ready to show off soon, but things have been really busy so progress has unfortunately been slow.

I updated the link at the top, but I’ll post it down here as well!

Thanks in advance for any advice/critique!

3 Likes

Loved the healing FX

1 Like