VFX Portfolio (WIP) - Augustus Allen [2016]

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding. I hope this is more along the lines of what you imagined. I removed the bounce, added the blur mesh and increased the spinning speed in and out.

The original orbit speed of 45 has been reduced to 35. The spinning (horizontal) has been staggered for each ring, the middle being the slowest.

Added distortion to the invisibility charm/spell. Added spirals when it collapses.

Created a massive network for the chest shader. It’s relatively close to what I imagined a “secret chest being revealed” looks like. There’s not much else I can think of outside of this.

I’m adding a base to the chest model b/c it doesn’t look good atm.

1 Like

It’s defenitely a tricky spell ;). Your working on a lot at once so coming back with a fresh eye later could serve useful. If you do decide to revisit it I’d recommend really streaking out that blur texture a bit more so there’s a bit less noise. Also sorry about the lengthy responses, I need to get better at communicating clearly and consisely lol… Anyhow, nice work overall man :slight_smile:

I really like the moon center piece with the sphere decaying away to a glowing orb. That’s super awesome man! Can’t wait to see your progress on the reaper ^^ :grin:

Totally, I’ve gotta step away from that for a while haha. Yep, the textures definitely need more refinement.

Nah, its all good man, there was misunderstanding on my part. Sometimes I overthink things when their not super specific. It’s something I need to work on haha.

Thanks for all the input so far, it’s been wonderful!

As for the reaper, its still on the back-burner until I get the final few completed. Hopefully I’ll get around to it sometime soon! :smiley:

Alrighty, here’s updates on the chest and prismatic shield. Added dust to the shield and motion blurred the hell out of the streaks.

My reel is 30 seconds shorter now (1:00/1:30), so I’ll need to come up with a couple more cool ideas to really sell it.

I’m thinking some kind of static ball or ray of sickness kinda design. It’d be cool to have some kind of channeling beam effect.

Maybe even some kind of ground impact or tornado. Just trying to find cool ideas to demonstrate a wide set of skills.

Alright folks, this is what I plan to submit for the Warcraft FX position.

https://youtu.be/QV7k7fuIADA

I have not read through all the comments in detail but I thought i might peek and give some feedback. I hope I am not to late!
short and sweet, I think that is a good route to go!
The frost projectile at 0:12 seems to lag forward, whats up with that?

I personally think the video is a bit to dark and the effects to bright, maybe contrast everything to a more balanced level.
Overall I think the effects look nice and you showcase a lot understanding in animation that I think will be appreciated.

The weakest piece is probably that fireball/comet & frostball attack(0:15-0:17), mostly because the impact feels like a giant star billboard expanding, either you redesign that explosion or I would suggest cutting them out.

Everything else is quite good and everything after that anchor effect is definitely your strongest pieces.

I hope the application goes well, goodluck! :slight_smile:

Ya, I don’t know why the framerate drops for the frost projectile. It’s probably because its moving too fast and the recording can’t pick up on it. I’ll see if I can re-record it at a better framerate, otherwise I’ll just drop it.

I’ll try to balance the lighting a bit more.

Totally, the fireball/frost-ball look similar and cheap. I’ll drop those.

Thanks for the final input! Wooh