UE4 Electricity like the one by Eric Huang

So I found this video:

And I was wondering how can I achieve the same effect?
I know the video title says Niagra Distance Test, but I’m actually interested in the electricity effect it self.

I tried using a beam with the curl noise, but if it is achievable that way I can’t seem to play with the variables to get an electricity beam look, like the one in the video.

Any ideas?

1 Like

From what i see, i can guess that a lightning texture was applied to the beam to make the lightning smoother (and also to alpha-erode it)

From looking at it, The noise seems to be baked on the texture, With BP it would be a straight beam with target being controlled by a distance trace.

So make a BP, Put your emitter in it, Expose the target parameter and write the target location by firing random 360 or w/e distance traces.

You can also have the noise inside the beam itself instead of the texture, Its much more random
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lmkXk

The one in my art station is both noise in texture and noise in a beam but not in niagra or w/e. It was purely cascade.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you got any questions.

PS it takes quite a bit of fiddling with all the parameters to get a beam to work nicely for electricity.