Thomas Corvée : Sketch #64 "Lootbox"

Last update :
RTFX_Lootbox_02

Hey everyone!

I am late with this challenge but I’ll try to do it anyway as I never did a lootbox vfx so this is a good opportunity!

As I don’t have much free time in October, I will go on something straightforward, nothing fancy in modelization or animation. I like the simplicity of the lootbox animation in League of Legends so I will try to do it my way on Unreal Engine :slight_smile:

Hextech_Chest_Light

I found this great (and free!) model of hextech chest on Sketchfab so this will be a nice start: HextechChest sketchfab - Download Free 3D model by TimothyWasTaken [dc2e4f1] - Sketchfab

2 Likes

I integrated it this afternoon in Unreal.

I didn’t want to spend time on UVs so I textured it using simple noises in World Align :shushing_face:

I also had to make some changes to the base model because it wasn’t ready for the animation and there wasn’t the cube with more holes so I did it… Painfully but I did it :sweat_smile:
The topology is not great but it’s enough for what I want to do

4 Likes

Animation is almost ready! I decided to make a lot of squash and stretch because… well… it’s just funnier this way and I don’t want to replicate exactly the League of Legends reference. I also thought about doing an opening with the loot going up in the air like in Overwatch!
Lootbox_Animation

Can’t wait to start doing the vfx this week end ! :grin:

6 Likes

Small update, I started adding some effects here and there :sparkles:

RTFX_Lootbox_00

This will need polish but BIG BOOM INCOMING

2 Likes

Useful tip for those who don’t know:

As I said earlier, I didn’t want to make a proper texturing on the model so I used a World-Aligned Texture to make some variations in the box’s colors. The problem is that this texture stayed world space when the box was moving like in the GIF below
WA_Texture

I added a Pre-Skinned Local Position with a Vertex Interpolator as input in the World Position Vector of the World-Aligned Texture to fix this.

And Tadaaa now the box is ready :ok_hand:
WA_Texture_VInterpolator

5 Likes

Really cool idea, thank you for sharing! I used same technique inspired by you

1 Like

Nice ! Glad I could help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey! I tried something fun with the opening of the box: I wanted to make the loot go up in the air like in Overwatch and I was like “Oh, why go in the air when you can go TO SPACE!”

So I made this and it was pretty fun to do! I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do now that the loot is up there, maybe a burst like in Genshin Impact to show if the loot is rare, epic or legendary and then the loot goes back on the ground. Actually, I don’t really know so don’t hesitate if you have any idea I would be glad to hear it haha! Maybe I can do something with the constellations too, that would be nice :eyes:

Of course, all the trail is WIP, I think I will make it look a bit like the one in the Star Guardian ost video. That would be a nice reference to the League of Legends universe

3 Likes

Looking nice! I really like the idea, and it reminds me of “Your name” vibe.

2 Likes

New WIP :sparkles:

Still a lot to do, I’m happy with the constellation and how everything goes but it adds a lot of work. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This is really great.

1 Like

This is very cool GREAT WORK!

1 Like

Is there any HD video video that I would like to save as a reference.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually, the best quality video I have for the moment is this one above but you can wait for the end of the challenge (October 31st) before saving for reference as it’s still WIP

Wow. This is already looking really cool!

1 Like