Tech Art Fundamentals tutorial series

Ep 8! We take care of the case where there is already an existing render target because we hit a mesh that has already been hit before. We use the ‘find’ method of the blueprint map.

Ep 9!

How to sample mesh surfaces with a uniform sampling basis so that in the next video we can draw damage hits with the proper scale and remove the stretching.

If you like what you see then please subscribe!

Texture splatting videos are great. I love seeing a complex idea explained simply and visually. The latest one is also interesting, with that technique using a double cross. But what a cliffhanger at the end :wink: I waited to see the un-stretched material.

Are there benefits to splitting videos into small steps? I think it’s more of Udemy-style than YouTube. A couple of advantages of longer videos (but not too long, ~20 min):

• YT people mostly find videos through recommendations or search. That’s the most important factor. A single popular video may have a better reach
  • (a caveat to the previous point: it’s still useful to split by topic. Then you pop up when people search by certain keywords)
  • It’s easier to go back to a certain minute, to check what was done there
  • One longer video will accumulate all the likes (an important factor on YT). A multitude would only recieve a smaller number each
  • YouTube algorithm measures the video’s value by watch time. I don’t know if it means duration percentage or amount. Still, a lot of viewers spending time in the same video would definitely boost it

Keep up the great work with the series! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Oskar, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

I did wonder about the splitting of the videos. I mainly did it because originally they were going to be going up on another tutorial company’s site and that was required. So I just uploaded as is.

Also, doing the split allows me to upload one at a time so everyone isn’t waiting around as long.

Maybe I could compile into longer videos and uploads those once this latest round is all done, I’ll have a think. Can’t hurt to try.

PS. net video will be up in about half an hour :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think it won’t hurt to put them again, as a separate combined video :slight_smile:

Cool I’ll try and get round to it soon.

Here’s the latest video which resolves the cliffhanger…

PS, love your channel too.

2 Likes

Ep 11 is up!
Here we modify a starter content particle system to get a quick and simple smoke effect.

Cheers
Dan

1 Like

Have been thoroughly enjoying all of these man! Super clear and concise :D. Thanks for all the effort for making these!

Penultimate episode of Tech art 3 :slight_smile:

Approximating surface area of mesh to choose optimal render target size…

5 Likes

Thanks for putting all these together!

Dude these are awesome! Thank you for making them!

This is great stuff! As a beginner, I often fell into the trap of tutorial videos that followed the “click this, then that” path but found myself at a loss whenever I tried to figure out the “why” behind what they were showing me. This series should have been my first stop and I will encourage others to follow suit in starting with the fundamentals before jumping into the heavy stuff. Thank you for your contribution and I look forward to seeing more content in the future! You’ve gained a subscriber today!

1 Like

Thanks Jake, I appreciate the compliment! More is coming soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Regarding Part6
For the brush material: at 5:46 you used a 4d vector to get the uvTransform then masked out the red and green channels. Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason to use a 4d vector instead of a 3 or 2d?

There is no 2D vector param in Unreal materials. However, you can use 4D to pack a full transform: ScaleU, ScaleV, OffsetU, Offset V.

Ah, I see now where I was getting confused. I wasn’t specifically looking for a 2D vector parameter, instead I was thinking of using just a 2D vector there which I guess would still be possible but not very practical?

Ah I didn’t even think to use the B and A of the vector 4 for offset parameters. That should cut a couple parameter inputs from my material instances in general. Thanks!

Yeah that’s definitely a good idea. I dont really concentrate on final optimization in the tutorials as I think it gets in the way of understanding and simplicity. Maybe I should wrap up with an optimization and performance video for each topic.

1 Like

Might be worth to at least mention a few things about how to optimize it and the performance of it. Figuring out things like that was (and still is for me) one of the hardest things to learn when I started with fx, so always good to give people an idea about it when possible.

I just found about this and I’m so glad I did. Your content is awesome and I cannot wait to go through it.
There’s even a section about World Machine! Marvelous
I guess is never late to say thanks for sharing :slight_smile: