I was making some tutorial videos for a content creator which ended up not being published so I have decided to stick them up what I have on youtube.
I realised that the information starts out pretty basic for what a lot of people on here are used to, but if you are someone just getting into UE4 material and shaders and want to learn some basic concepts for vfx then hopefully they might be useful to you.
UE4 Tech Art 1 - UV Fundamentals
- how UVs work
- how you can manipulate them
- offsetting, scaling and rotating UVs and textures
- generating random numbers
- random tile material
UE4 Tech Art 2 - Texture Splatting +Pprocedural Puddle Material
- randomly splatting textures across a surface
- varying their position, scale and rotation
- making a procedural water puddle material
Part 3 is a dynamic damage accumulation system that uses render targets to store damage blast hits that build up over surfaces. Also use blueprints to track which objects have been hit and only create a render target per object that has the appropriate resolution.
I’m open to getting feedback on what topic to cover next.