Stylish cartoon black-white screen FX

Hi, I try to make like this cool black-white screen FX .
but I am not sure this workflow is correct.
make post-processing material → animate in Level Sequence or BP?.

Someone know better approach?

Honeycam 2022-08-16 17-43-40

13 Likes

Hey^^

Yeah that workflow is the normal way of doing a black&white flashframe.
Create a pp-material and animate it either inside a script or a sequence :smiley:
Not really a lot other options that make sense (but also depending on the engine you are using obviously)

1 Like

Not sure where @Kashaar posted it, so tagging him for his setup.

1 Like

You could also spawn a translucent particle right in front of the camera (covering the whole screen), read SceneColor & SceneDepth and then tweak it to what you need (Black & White). This will allow you to animate in out via Niagara a bit more easily, if needed.

Another way that I have never tested before, which might work: Use the custom component renderer inside Niagara. Spawn a post process component with your Blendable Black&White post process material in it.
Unfortunately it’s a bit harder to animate the post process volume this way, but there might be a workaround.

5 Likes

I had posted this on Discord - message link here for posterity: Discord

I indeed did this with a sprite as well, not a postprocess effect.

https://imgur.com/7wgRwKd

Higher quality: Impact Frame effect from the Discord archives - YouTube

Material graph:

Applied to a Niagara sprite that flashes (white) color and opacity twice like this:

28 Likes

In general I would always prefer to do this kind of thing with sprites rather than postprocess materials, just to keep effects self-contained and dependencies to a minimum. I like my projects to optimize for the minimum amount of complexity needed, so that they’re easy to maintain and iterate on :wink:

2 Likes

Very cool! Hadn’t seen this before :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

it works. Thanks for soulution.
and add some dynamic parameters and control in NiagaraSystem,

and attach front of Camera in BP and spawning when shooting the gun.

5 Likes

hey @TobiasTobasco I found this chain a little late but was wondering if you could elaborate on how to spawn a particle that can cover the entire screen?

Just spawn 1 particle, then set the position (on particle update) to the camera position. And add a small offset to it. You can use the camera forward vector for the offset. Also make sure you use a GPU particle, as it seems to be faster at updating the camera position each frame (than CPU). You might get some near camera clipping, so an offset of about 10 units is good. Example:

(and one last thing: make sure your system is spawned roughly at the location of your camera. Otherwise your particle will move to the camera location (but the system will stay left behind), and the particle will go out of system bounds, so it will stop rendering. Or you can alternatively increase the system fixed bounds to a large value)

1 Like

hey @TobiasTobasco thanks for the answer :slight_smile: it makes so much sense and is so much simpler than I thought. It actually just might help with a problem that ive been trying to solve as well, how would one then go about and apply something like this locally? For example spawning a particle in scene causes the area around it to distort.

Hello, I have an animation and i would really like it to have impact frames in UE5. The thing is tho i copied the Material graphs that’s been uploaded here on this board. But I really don’t know how to apply it and i can’t seem to find the [set particle position] would anyone be willing to help?

I’m an absolute newbie to all of this ;-;

[set particle position] is basically setting a variable that is called position inside of a particle context each tick (cos we setting it in a particle update section). I’d recommend take some basic Niagara course (or at least couple hours crash course on yt) - I learned from Real-Time Magic, but it’s on russian only atm