Star Citizen - Explosion VFX Breakdown

Yep! Unreal. But it looks like that in the level too. :frowning:

Can you post your material shader?

1 Like

Clamping the alpha seems to have cleared it up in the level. But i don’t know how/why. Maybe i forgot to compile at some point. Maybe I should include a better z in my texture.

I’m also seeing some blown out white areas which makes me think my normal map rendering is off.

I can’t paste the nodegraph into the post. (too big)

Yes, I am aware I can re-use the motion vector blend, but I was thinking about changing it, this is the quick and dirty.

This is based on Klemen Lozars material.
I can’t advertise him enough, he’s almost as valuable as Bill Kladis. :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t yet know the specifics of normals on particles. But if your normals were generated correctly, would you even need to normalize?

1 Like

Well, If I’m missing a good blue component, they might be facing more radially? So normalizing would force them outward?
Imagine a very small vector with little or no blue, it explodes outward when you normalize?

If you want radial normal, you should use this on all lit particles:

Check “Generate spherical particle normals” in your material settings. Solved so many issues i’ve had for the longest time.

1 Like

The biggest problem I’m having right now is that because I’m doing the sub uv lookup in the shader, the particle trimming doesn’t work. I don’t see a way to use flowmap blending AND particle trimming.

Would particle trimming actually change the uv space coordinates? I’d figure they should stay stationary but i wouldn’t have a clue.

The automated trimming in unreal leaves your coordinates where they are and just cuts the geo back with a fairly primitive but very effective cutting algorithm. But it happens in the vertex shader of their own sub-uv system. So there doesn’t appear to be a way to intercept and fix.

Bundle of thanks for sharing it. Loved the breakdown and Explosion is awesome. This has given me something of a tip to do the breakdown for the explosion I created. :slight_smile: