Stanislav Petruk: Embergen Challenge

This looks great! How highres are your flipbooks?

1 Like

Looks great man!
Is your flipbook exactly tied to the camera angle in engine?

1 Like

It’s awesome! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey, thanks. I currently use 2k most of the time (but they are downsized from original 4k, in case I will need more resolution)

1 Like

Thank you. The explosion is designed to be observed from the side, that would not look good from the top for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Top view explosion with a wave
explo_top

Used mostly the source files from the existing scenes
ue
I only added a bit of a bend (simple bones animation) to the trees located close to the explosion
max

Trees scattered in houdini and exported to unreal. I was not able to find a way to scatter them with the radial orientation in Unreal (I think there is a way but I am not smart anough for that :slight_smile:)
houdini

Wave is a distortion + scaled up decal + embergen smoke

7 Likes

Today I am only adding one scene - a side view of the explosion wave. Still need to replace identical trees and add one close up of the shot.
side_veiew_scene

4 Likes

I’ve added one more shot of the side wave (closer one).
Initial explosion sequence:

It’ s a line of trees in ue4
ezgif.com-optimize

The trees are mostly bending, one of them breaks
ezgif.com-optimize

Next step will be returning to the opening and closing scenes, and finalize the entry :slight_smile:

Reference is from here https://youtu.be/QsB83fAtNQE?t=76

3 Likes

The lighting on the dust is beautiful

1 Like

Update is here :slight_smile:
I’ve finally added a bomb model.
bomb_seq

Bomb made in 3ds max and textured in quixel mixer
bomb

Will be working on character animation today (character model from mixamo)

2 Likes

So I am almost done. I’ve added the character, now I have a little bit of time for sound and details.

3 Likes

Here is the final submission

It’s been a real pleasure to work on this project :slight_smile:
Thanks for the great challenge!

4 Likes

Amazing stuff, was following thread with dropped jar most of the time, cool beans! Good luck in finals! :wink:

1 Like

It’s all done but I could not resist rendering out a 4k version. It is real-time anyway :metal:

8 Likes

Well done! Looks amazing.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that the final mushroom cloud has a weird dark outline and I did not have it in the previous iterations. I uploaded the fixed cloud on vimeo (same link) but already submitted the “outlined” one to jangaFX. :frowning: So if you want to check out the correct one - it is the vimeo link
Wander if there is any chance I can resubmit @JangaFX Outline is not a terrible thing, but still a bit dissapointing

wow, it’s really impressive that you put together a short. you even included nice audio. very inspirational.

cheers!

1 Like

You can resubmit if you’d like and we’ll make sure to note it.

1 Like

Resubmitted. Thanks!

Here’s a quick reminder that this Challenge closes this evening! Don’t forget to submit your final video to JangaFX using this Form if you’ve yet!

For the full rules and instructions, visit our original post here:

1 Like