Spyro : Sketch #22

I think you’re having the high ground ! Stunning.

1 Like

It looks deep :open_mouth: Can you show it without borders?

1 Like

Thank you all ! :smile:

Yeah gonna do a screenshot when I’m back home ! Actually, it’s only an outline node multiplied with a mask :slight_smile:

EDIT : here is the screenshot without borders !

4 Likes

Tornado 6 is here :]

2D artwork/CD cover this time.

Gif_Tornado_06_Synthwave

11 Likes

all of the tornados are awesome but the last one kicks ass :smiley: such a nice artwork <3

2 Likes

Thanks Simon ! I’m glad that you liked :smile:

Was busy with Ludum Dare this weekend, I’ll finish my last tornado tomorrow !

3 Likes

I thought it could work on a tornado effect, but I just couldn’t get it to work properly!
Great job as always @Spyro, I’m really glad you could make something so awesome out of the effect! ^^

1 Like

Thanks ! Yeah I ended up with an inverted taurus for this one, at the beginning I wanted to make something similar to the Astral in the game Allods online : ref 1, ref 2. But it was really hard to visualize without any limits of the meshes in the scene. Maybe I could have tried something procedural with houdini if I had more time :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, your breakdown really helped me out to figure how it was made, and how I could recreate it with nodes (but actually, mine is not optimized, I have like a subgraph made of 50 subgraphs, argh)

Yeah, I’d imagine the repetitions are not too pretty with shader graph ^^"
But I think the result justifies it! :smiley:

1 Like

How did you make it so deep? Is it a one noise texture or parallax occlusion?

It’s multiple layers (50) of parallax occlusion :wink:

Edit : reworked the post for the judging day (omg) and added tornado 7 ! Finally !

Tornado_07_Def

NASA-style artwork here. I love space.

6 Likes

You made some beautiful and diverse tornadoes! I really get a feeling of dread looking at 3 and 7… actual nightmare fuel hahaha.
Thank you for all the breakdowns and links, really insightful stuff :smile:

1 Like

Did yo ever make the breakdown of the parallax shader? It’s insanely cool!

1 Like

Yeah ! Gonna do it next week. But don’t expect a perfectly working and optimized shader, it has 0 chances to be production efficient haha :sweat_smile:

:tornado: Got inspired by your Tornado 7! :tornado:

Beware of dizziness:

1 Like

Nice job man ! Looks pretty cool :smile: Is that vertex offset ?

These kind of scene remembers me the tokamak chambers/particle accelerators; I was quite inspired by that when I did my mesh. Love it !

1 Like

It’s a combination of vertex offset with a gradient controlling the intensity so the center of the mesh is the most affected zone, and parallax occlusion mapping with a couple noise textures multiplying themselves and panning at a different rate. Also, fresnel.

Glad you liked it!

1 Like

您好 您这个 是怎么实现的啊 我是个新人 很喜欢这种效果

Hey thanks !

Well, mostly of them are shader-only work, if you are a newcomer I suggest you to begin with the basics of Shadergraph and/or Amplify inside Unity (there are lots of resources to apprehend the basics of these nodal shader editors) , but if you have more advanced questions about one of those effects I’m sure I can help you ! :smile: