Sketch #49: Waterfall

Final submission

My current idea : see how to make a vortex and try to tie it all up together with a fall

sketch marker idea
waterfall_01

using blender since I need to learn new tools more
vortex_mesh

first attempted layer to get the basic motions
vortex_color

and i am going to think about how much texture I want, no i mean to say how much texture i ‘dont want’, so ill be abstracting it more toon/illustrative

vortex_01

38 Likes

I did some painting to see what I think i wanted, something that seemed like 2D on watercolor

and some of the assets are shown as well as some thinkings.

made some progress on spinning wake trails,
wake_trail_01

vortex_04w

im probably going to leave the funnel clean, rather than tons of bubbles/white foam because of how much I enjoyed the shaders look as you move the cam

17 Likes

Looks cool. It looks like

I look forward to when you finish your work.

2 Likes

Breakdown of the fun water wake I was musing over

Fun thing [UV coordinates]^3 to remap upperBound_Input when mapped to the geometry — the trail would have been much too thin at the start

Progress on the waterfall cliff
waterfall_cliff_01

using the parallax tricks worked out here I wanted the cliff to distort as the main driver of water context and tone, but also the depth could also drive stones to stick out.
So height map is also a mask for noisy distortion that helps wrap foaming around the stones.

all together
waterfall_cliff_02

probably going to add bubbles to break the connection, getting this to be seamless just isn’t going to be workable for a quick sketch, the vortex is a spinning object etc…

25 Likes

It’s already turning amazing !!! :eyes: Can’t wait to see where it goes ! :raised_hands:

1 Like

i might be done because I like where it is now at.

I solved the seam between cliff and vortex with some simple painting then remap helped control noise scale then added bubbles, mist and some sprays.

current breakdown

ill make a vid for the top post, but after a day or 2 to noodle anything more…can’t stop noodling.

15 Likes

i think the noodling is done
waterfall_cliff_02

Waterall #49 super final_01 :laughing:

small skirt to ground the thing and touched up the seamless concept. a few more bubble splashes instead of big bubbles

24 Likes

:open_mouth: Damn, I can even hear it in my mind.

Whoaaaa … looks amazing. Where’s the Vote button ? 0.o

looks super cool! very well done! :hearts:

Thanks all for all the positive comments!

I’m happy with how this shaped up; It was fun to realize some of my ideas laying around and to use them in a practical visual.

Looks really sweet! I also like how well the POM trick is working here. Dope Stuff!

Not only is this a nice execution, but it feels like a very unique and interesting environment concept. I could totally see this as being a magical place the player makes return visits to, where they can level up skills or something! :smiley:

clairvoyant! I was about to dabble adding magical elements… as it goes along with a geometric rhino concept i’d made a while back

sketchfab

3 Likes

Hey !
Well done, the effect is awesome !

I was wondering how did you handle the Flow arround the rocks ?
It’s a bit blurry for me.
Did you get the position & create a kind of function to isolate only what’s is below and create the water separation ?
Or did you use something with distance field ?
Or it is simply a handmask mask for this parts ?

SO MUCH QUESTIONS in my head ahah

Or it is simply a handmask mask for this parts ?

Exactly
A hand mask

• a simple shader pans noise downward to give the illusion of refraction and it’s removed where the mask is white

• Mask also dictates parallax height so the stones feel lifted out of the wobbly illustration and the water area is recessed

• there is 1 last trick, the scale of the noise is relative to the mask as well… white = fatter distortion, the black portions become more detailed noise scale (but it is subtle to prevent visual tearing)
    [edit] this is bad, don’t do this! , varying noise scale continues to build up a delta causing tearing to worsen – it is not a precision issue it’s continuous shear.

waterfall_003
leveraging human perception * illustration = illusion like refracted water
a wiggly painting to seem frothy

high res jpg of the shader

[edit] warning - note the remap applied to noise scale; Do not do this, noise scale can’t be variable since it is panning.

then this panning texture to add a top layer for some dimensional enhancement

In hind sight this all could/should be compartmentalized for optimization

• waterfall isolated interior geo rather than a large mask that is under utilized blank area
  • cliff a static texture with actual rock geo
  • this had more to do with my very limited Blender skills and how far could I bend a parallax map technique with only 2 textures + noise and 4 fetches (at most, rather than >4 which was easily going to happen)
  • I was going to try to paint the mushrooms/moss/grasses and each rock facet of the cliff into the parallax — I stopped noodling just due to time investment , but the sketch i am happy with it as a proof of concept so-to-speak
4 Likes

@Torbach
你好,我是初学者,可以发完整、清晰的节点图吗?
我看不清楚上面的节点,因为我是新手研究很长时间无法找到相关节点。
图片太模糊了。
非常感谢
Hello, I’m a beginner. Can I send a complete and clear node diagram?

I can’t see the above nodes clearly, because I’m a novice and can’t find relevant nodes for a long time.

The picture is too blurred.

Thank you.

much higher resolution

https://realtimevfx.com/uploads/default/original/3X/4/b/4bb82407d08f40a06619fd1a03931734d59d2092.jpeg

2 Likes

非常感谢分享,我已经成功做出来了
Thank you very much for sharing. I have made it successfully