Site Maintenance - Saturday, October 1 @ 11pm (pst)

It’s been a surprisingly stable run, but it’s time I finally take down the server and learn from the lessons over the past few weeks. The biggest change is actually a server relocation to a new facility. I’m expecting the site to be down for no more than 3 hours, but I’m an amateur, so… fingers crossed.

Here’s my full to do list:

:black_square_button: Move Server to San Francisco Location (better everything)
:black_square_button: Update Discourse SDK
:black_square_button: Fix page width issues with scroll bar
:black_square_button: Fix Incorrect badge naming and assignments
:black_square_button: Install tool to help query post stats (for competitions, etc)
:black_square_button: Attempt to fix respond by email functionality
:black_square_button: Setup auto-tweet tool so the twittersphere can discover all this rad knowledge
:black_square_button: Begin setup for https certs (coming later)
:black_square_button: Begin setup for light/dark theme selector (still a WIP)

5 Likes

Just a reminder that this is happening tonight!

Going down in T-Minus 1-Hour

P.S. (pray for me)

1 Like

Success, although transferring Data and DNS to the new data center proved to take forever. Sorry for the long downtime everyone. At least we won’t have to do that again anytime soon.

Here are a few changes:

:ballot_box_with_check: Move Server to San Francisco Location (better everything)
:ballot_box_with_check: Update Discourse SDK
:ballot_box_with_check: Fix page width issues with scroll bar
:ballot_box_with_check: Install tool to help query post stats (for competitions, etc)
:ballot_box_with_check: Attempt to fix respond by email functionality**
:ballot_box_with_check: Setup auto-tweet tool so the twittersphere can discover all this rad knowledge
:ballot_box_with_check: Added new “Staff Pick” staff only tag
:ballot_box_with_check: Begin setup for ssl certs (coming later)
:ballot_box_with_check: Enabled neato “last visit” indicator to show topics since your last visit on the main page
:ballot_box_with_check: Begin setup for light/dark theme selector (still a WIP… but i have a button that can change css and is stored in a browser cookie. Moving on to fiddling with CSS settings for an acceptable “Dark” mode).
:ballot_box_with_check: Add non-white background across the page
:ballot_box_with_check: Remove News (redundant) and Replace with Events (for competitions)
:ballot_box_with_check: Update default topic image
:ballot_box_with_check: Setup better server load handling (will now error out gracefully instead of crash… i think)

And here I failed:

:black_square_button: Fix Incorrect badge naming and assignments - this is some crazy bug in Discourse’s localization. I threw it back up to the discourse devs.

**Note about Respond by Email - this is really hard for me to test. I’ve enabled everything again and cleaned up my settings with better error logging. Please let me know if you respond to a topic by email and it does not go through again so I can track down the errors and hopefully learn more.

__