Simon Trümpler - VFX Sketchbook

thanks @PonyD & @Hovl! :heart:

small update:

• scene is not lit by the effect
  • tweaked novas
  • tweak final explosion
  • final splashes/debris now have some rotational velocity
  • core is now stretched/squished the faster it rotates
  • BUG: orange slice on stones is missing!
10 Likes

I totally love the art direction and progress for this!!! :heart_eyes:
Great work, Simon!

1 Like

thank you @Shr1mpsy! :heart:

• today i present the first 60 fps recording
  • reworked novas
  • added space/time warping at the beginning of the effect and slowly building up before the whole things explodes
  • reworked stone timing: they fall a bit later now
  • bugfix: glowing slice is back
  • end sparkles now turn from yellow to purple
11 Likes

Delicious work ! The timing, the build up, the colors, everything is perfect!

1 Like

OMG! it keeps just getting better and better :scream: :heart:
Awesome work Simon!

1 Like

Thank you @Arklan & @Laura_041!

I finally finished the effect!
Here is the Artstation Page, Breakdown & Project Files:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B3v258

29 Likes

This is beyond gorgeous :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:

I wonder how much performance this VFX eats up. While the smoke builds up around the core it consists of 5+ meshes which all use transparency, right? Would you say this could be put into a PC game as is, or would it need like a “reduced” version for lower graphic settings?
(I read that you recorded it with 60 fps, but I imagine your hardware specs to be on the higher end and I’m working with Unity, so can’t take a look at your UE project, unfortunately.)

Once more, amazing work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good question :slight_smile: I think from an overdraw standpoints it’s ok because the very big novas are just 1 layer of transparency and the core where stuff happens doesn’t fill the whole screen and there is nothing like 100 big soft smoke particles on top of each other. But I must admit that I put a lot of mesh resolution in the geometries i used. I guess I would re-visit this and see if I can optimize more if it would be for a game. It’s also the question if this effect could appear 100x at the same moment on the screen or if it’s a very special spell only fired once.

Regarding the fps: I record in 4K via Sequencer. This means it’s NOT captured in real-time but rendered in a way that 1 frame can take way longer than it would be possible for a game.

Thank you! <3

1 Like

That makes sense. Yeah, I imagine it to be on screen only one time or maybe a couple of times, since it draws a lot of attention and would probably be to noisy for a smaller scale. Thanks for your answer! :blush:

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!
Could you tell me how you did the distortion around the core that looks like its sucking the atmosphere around it before the explosion?

Thank you! It’s a simple particle with a disortion material and a cone-shapes normal map. You can download the project and check it out of you want.

1 Like

I will do just that!, thank you

I made a small project for my GDC22 talk which you can see here:

I’m extending the project a bit because I’ll give the talk again at ADDON22. Here is the current state:

ToDo Notes:

• explo slower
  • lightning blue/white
  • variation to watersplash
  • additional elements (clouds?) for forground?
  • rework lit from below/inner volcano smoke texture
13 Likes
  • tweaked explosion to communicate scale better (everything slower)
  • lightning now blueish
  • watersplashes with a bit random scale
  • lava debris colliding with volcano

Feedback/Todo:
:white_check_mark: Shockwave in Air & Water 1. https://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs?t=13
:white_check_mark: Improve water splash (2 stages, angled when stone hits at anngle?) https://youtu.be/iQW-BE8abZs?t=36

• additional elements (clouds?) for forground?
  • Physics of smoke, lava lumps and water burts seem to be from different scales, not reading together.
    :white_check_mark: Lava Flow
  • Steam Column
  • Water Foam around Island
  • Tweak colors? Discord
4 Likes

very satisfying to watch on loop and this iteration you made is even more impressive

these are the additions i could see attempting

• water highlighting around mountain
  • lava flow
  • steam column
3 Likes

@Torbach thank you so much for your feedback! <3

Update

• smaller debris
  • smaller water splashes (with a first and a 2nd phase/splash)
  • lava streams
  • shock wave on water

Feedback/Todo:

• :white_check_mark: Shockwave in Air & Water 1. https://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs?t=13
  • :white_check_mark: Improve water splash (2 stages, angled when stone hits at anngle?) https://youtu.be/iQW-BE8abZs?t=36
  • :white_check_mark:Small debris also with glow materials & collide with island
  • :white_check_mark:Rework Colliding Sparkles
  • :white_check_mark:Tweak Lightning (new core, color tweak)
  • :white_check_mark:Shockwave along terrain?
  • :white_check_mark:Tweak Shield Wiggle according to shockwave
  • :white_check_mark:New Textures (lit below, lit from inside)
    -:small_red_triangle_down: Recording- Fire should be colder( towards red). Lighting should be mix of blue and red, depending howclose it is tosmoke pillar. Lighting should be somewhat constrained to smoke pillar.
  • :small_red_triangle_down:additional elements (clouds?) for forground?
  • :small_red_triangle_down:Water Foam around Island
  • :white_check_mark:Physics of smoke, lava lumps and water burts seem to be from different scales, not reading together.
  • :white_check_mark: Lava Flow
  • :small_red_triangle_down:Steam Column
7 Likes

I like your volcanic lightning. In my opinion: you could make the lightning darker and more saturated for a stronger contrast.

1 Like

I’ll call this done. Could improve more but I need to finish it, document the texture creation and then give the talk.

New

• new Smoke Column Textures (improved lighting from below & inside)
  • tweaked water splash (now with 2 stages, scaled them down a bit)
  • Lightning Strikes have a glowing “blob” at their core now

Closer:

14 Likes

Working on a small effect for a class I’ll give soon. The idea is to have a relatively simple material/shader (mainly uv distortion + alpha erosion) and still get somewhat complex motion:

vfx_01_small

12 Likes

A new version. All elements (sphere, ring, smoke, fire, drips, puddle) use the same shader. The drips & circle are inspired by Alex Fedorov: Sketch #20 WIP @AlexFedorov

preview:
sae2022_vfx_02_small

7 Likes