Shannon McSheehan - LoL FX + Knowledge Share

Beautiful colors and love the animation in your effects. Thanks ms for sharing

Hi Shannon!
Magnificent work, I like how the colors are look like and overall motion of the effect is so nice and fluid! I have download Neeko gifs and watched them in slow-motion - so many little details and motions, you did an awesome job (and I believe you’ve spent many hours on it too!)!

I have a little question: did you make this purple flower animation with sprite sheets or it some kind of shader distortion of the effect?

neeko

1 Like

I can’t speak for her, but I achieved this kind of effect using a shader.
Something like this in unreal.

Edit: Oh not much point if I don’t actualy show what that gives you! :smiley:
Flower

25 Likes

@ShannonBerke I have a question about the VFX for games video (‘So you want to make a game?’) related to this topic. In the video you explain making a fireball and I found that animated flames texture to be really awesome :ok_hand:. I was wondering how you created that? is it just subtracting with a noise or a sprite-sheet? I would be pleased to know how you created the shapes in the texture.

2 Likes

Reeeaally early in this thread, she goes over how she makes trails, including one they use for Kayne where it dissolves at the end of the trail. It’s possible they are using that same process but with different textures for the dissolve, and a color lookup gradient to handle the color.

Scale the U with the amount of petals you want your flower to have, and scroll V over time. I made the UV’s larger closer to the top of the mesh, and smaller at the bottom. This exaggerates the petal feel at the start of the ‘bloom’ and looks more like a circle splash at the edge. I hope that explains it well :open_mouth:

EDIT* also if anyone is looking for a super fast gif maker ScreentoGif is very handy

91 Likes

Heyo! I didn’t make that effect so I’m also guessing. It looks like in this instance it is a unlooped flip book. We do use a few flip books in League, but only a few as they are expensive $$$

2 Likes

That’s genius :scream: You all come up with the most robust UV+texture tricks

1 Like

I was lookin here at Inherent glamour.
it looks like you did your uv trick mentioned above on a halfsphere mesh, twice. Is that right?

(this link here is your gif exploded into frames. Really really useful to see things frame by frame;))

gif exploded glamour

Nopers! I actually created a helix (donut shape) because I wanted my texture to have a constant scroll without trying to fit multiple objects together haha I squished around the UV’s to get that warbly feeling cheaply >:D

I have an erosion on the middle gif (the solo’d group with that mesh) so that as the texture scrolls across it dissolves away. The third gif I just tiled the texture more so that you can better see how the texture scrolls around the whole mesh. Also it looked kinda cool!

Loopy_02

Loopy_03

57 Likes

Wow, such a great and simple solution! Thank you very much, you’re awesome! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It an interesting way of doing that, thank you very much!

1 Like

oh of COURSE. Man look at me with all this egg on my face. Idk why I always forget there are more shapes you can use in vfx, other than Cube, Cylinder, Sphere, and Plane.
Thanks again Shannon.

2 Likes

Heyyo! Here’s a screen grab of how I constructed this flipbook in Flash:

It’s made up of many gradiented circles, and black circles on top of those to mask them out. They all animate up, and I loop around the tweens to get it just right! Super old school technique for a texture that has a nice feathered edge to it in the end. Instead of using black circles, I’ve also tried animating a mask, which creates a much more controlled and aesthetically pleasing result in the end, but takes way more time, of course.

28 Likes

Was this done in Flash, or did you create this setup in AfterEffects?

Just good ole’ Flash. I’m low tech like that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m hoping to get back to your 2d FX vids once the holiday crazyness is over :+1:

2 Likes

Such cool effects! frustrating that her ult so insanely over powered though :smiley: keep up the amazing work!

1 Like

Man, this looks so cool! I am so inspired!

Hi there @ShannonBerke! I was wondering how you remove trails when the projectile collides. In my project I remove the projectile and spawn an impact effect. The problem with it is that the trail instantly disappears and doesn’t fade. You don’t have that problem when I watch your particle showcases. Can I ask you what is the best approach to first let the trail fade before you destroy it when it collides? It doesn’t have to be in depth.