Shannon McSheehan - LoL FX + Knowledge Share

Yo! Some buddies were asking about the practical application of this trail. I wanted to show an example of how I used this exact trail in League of Legends :smiley:

This is Kayn, he’s a shadow assassin that battles for control over a powerful possessed weapon. He transforms halfway through the game depending on who wins, Kayn, or the weapon Rhaast! Kayn has the power to walk through walls:

Maybe you already recognize the trail :smiley:
Here it is in isolation:

I have one trail (like the above scrolling ones) that is being multiplied by itself scrolling at a slower rate (the red trail in the gif above) To give it that shadowy, inky dissolve I have an alpha erosion over the emitters lifetime:

Here is the trail WITHOUT the mult, just the alpha erosion or hue

You can get some really cool stuff with erosion :smiley: That’s also what I used on Kayn’s body. If you have any questions let me know :slight_smile:

59 Likes

It’s so beautiful :heart_eyes:
Is the erosion a separate texture, or is it baked into the trail’s texture?

1 Like

Are those textures you make tilable or do you fade them in and out ? And if they are tilable do hand paint them in photoshop or do you use some tool to help you out?

@Travis It’s a separate texture (below)
@Filip_Kovac They are tileable! I hand paint them using the technique above from the trail tutorial. I often use the Filter-> Other → Offset (wrap) to make sure everything tiles well :smiley: (below)

38 Likes

You can create tiled textures in Krita, is easier to do them. And the software its free with stabilizer :smiley:

2 Likes

@ShannonBerke @SrRubfish thank you i managed to do a trail in krita. It’s basic and i followed Shannons motion,.

4 Likes

Try adding some mov blur and a make a better shape ^^ GL

2 Likes

Promised this awhile ago ^^; If you have questions lemme know!! :whale:

(open image in new tab to see it large ^)

74 Likes

Yay!! :tada: Thanks @ShannonBerke for such short and sweet tutorials :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love this topic!

I would love to learn more about painting textures. Especially about noise. How do you come up with them? Most of the time I’m amused how much you can achieve with just well painted noise scrolling over a mesh.

5 Likes

Gorgeous.
A few years’ back, Julian Love said in his GDC talk that for him, good vfx should have the entertainment quality of a firecamp.
This is exactly how if feel about this trail, I don’t get tired watching it. Also you can’t read through the textures panning, it blends so well! Lovely work.

1 Like

I always loved Kog’maw so much. Juicy goodness :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wonderful , love it sooooooo much:heartpulse: Expect your more tutorials

1 Like

I have really been enjoying and learning from these tutorials, but the only thing I can’t get to work is multiplying the textures together to give it that wispy feel. I have tried some different things in Unreal and Unity but can’t seem to get it to work like you have with the orange trail.

i wanna say a BIG THANKS for your sharing :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Shannon!
Can you hepl me How to create Hextech opening effect mirror card

Thanks a lot

Hiya Poulift! Do you mind posting what you have? Maybe I could help from there :< We can always work in direct chat too :smiley: Whatever you’re most comfortable with!

2 Likes

I mainly use Unity and this is my node setup using ShaderForge, along with a screenshot of the material applied to a trail. This was after messing around with opacity clipping and other things. I ended up using your example trail texture as a base to see if I could get something to work. Any advice would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s all done in After Effects with motion graphics I believe, which isn’t an area I’m familiar with x.x Sorry!! D: I can try and put you in contact with the mograph artist if you’d like?

1 Like

dagfd

I used a map to do the effect in Unity

69 Likes