Rensei's Sketchbook

:sparkles: thumbnail :sparkles:

thumblls

Hiya,
After months of lurking around here I’m finally starting a sketchbook. Here’s the latest thing I made

waterorbgif_v1

39 Likes

Stylized Scifi shot sketch

scifishotgif

15 Likes

Gosh…this is so good to look at -
I’m really interested on what’s going on on the floor… I really liked the looks of the textures! How do you go about painting these kind of textures? I mean, watery/caustic like.

Are there 2 different textures spinning in different speeds? It seems so seamless, fluid… :open_mouth: they fuse really well together. Plus - still about the textures on the floor - sometimes I think I see some kind of volume popping out, much like a wave…is it the case or is my mind tricking with me?

Awh, thank you ;w;

So, I rarely draw textures by hand, I don’t enjoy the process or results so I’m just using a lot of noise maps and masks, if any of them is nice I can just render the shader output to the texture and keep it so :person_shrugging:

Th texure I was using for the bottom part was just… voronoi :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: (from Luos’ pack, I think it was this one, I got it years ago and its been working super well for a lot of things I do at home).

My shader is based on Harry’s VFX Master Shader with some changes and upgrades and all that.

But, to give some details, its a simple quad with polar uvs, circular mask, scrolling voronoi and uv displacement to add some spice, colour is added with a gradient sampling the result of all of that.

Voronoi

This thingie I use for displacement:

And yes, there are some waves! Just a simple mesh with scrolling noise textures.

All elements of the effect on the ground:
breadkown

I think the second element from left is a good one to show how much uv displacement changes:

uvdispl

Hope that helps, lemme know if you have more questions or want me to explain something better!

8 Likes

Quick shield sketches, I got a bunch of new free textures and wanted to play with them a bit
shield-tech-fire
shield-evil

11 Likes

Damn, so simple yet the results are amazing!

Thanks for typing it down, Rensei! :pray:

2 Likes

No worries, glad I could help, hmu if you need anything else <3

Quick test of FluidNinja thingie and using it it unity. It’s super simple, it’s a good Embergen alternative, although not a fair comparison, still very cool!

Gonna start making some firey stuff now! Someone suggested a fire wall so I might try to make it now
fireflipbook

7 Likes

Playing around with some flipbooks I made recently
evil

bit higher res here

6 Likes

Was away on holidays so I haven’t done much recently. Had a nice surprise on the last day because my steam deck was ready!

So to get myself back in the mood to work on things I started prototyping a boot animation for the deck. It’s quite easy to replace and has to be <10s so I thought this might be fun!
introprot

2 Likes

SAO “Link Start” vibes!

1 Like

just trying out an idea I had
gif

14 Likes

Testing out another idea, this time for a soft cloudy thingie, based on this https://twitter.com/EAVillar/status/997918188884185088

11 Likes

Thunder! :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
Using the cloud from above. Never made a lighning before :joy:

8 Likes

Seeing your sketchbook is super inspiring!

1 Like

Aw, thank you. I wish I had time to post more often hehe

1 Like

I don’t have much time or energy to work on stuff recently, but I really wanted to make something so here are some simple barriers inspired by the concept art by Pavel Savchuk

I was looking through stuff on pinterest and this popped up, I liked the clean lines and simplicity so I thought it would be fun to make some of those for practice.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8gAEw

gif1

I think those first two are my fav

gif6
gif3
gif2
gif5
gif4

18 Likes

Lightning strike attack thingie using the lightning from before
lighningstrike

5 Likes

Something spooky!

there is something in the ̴̹̚m̷͉̿ḭ̴̢͘̚ṛ̸̪̌r̷̭͋o̶͈͆r̶͙̍ :ghost:

character from mixamo
mirror from Arnold Konrad
wall and floor from https://polyhaven.com/
Inspired by this thing from etsy

It was fun, although I didn’t spend too much time on it so it’s veeery rough, I’d love to make some more ghostly thingies this month :ghost:

8 Likes

I had an idea a while ago of recording some videos of this cool fluid sim website by @PavelDoGreat, separating frames and making it into flipbooks to use in engine. I tried it before, but didn’t do much with it so decided to experiment with it a bit!

Unity GIF

Stylized version - This one has a shader that’s playing all scrolling textures at 16fps and the flipbooks match that
Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Explosionsss!
I ended up making 18 flipbooks, most are quite messy, playing at 30fps, they should be slower, but I exported the frames in vlc cuz it was convenient so thats what I got :person_shrugging:

Animated GIF

Next time I’d probably focus on the motion I want to record, and change the settings on the website so the effect is quite slow (and export the frames properly). Could also use https://www.facedownfx.com/ to get the motion vectors so I can slow down the effects properly

Some examples of what I got:

13 Likes