Recording UE4 viewport

Hi gang,
I’m wondering how people are recording their UE4 viewports for posting videos and GIFs? After searching the forums here I only see a Unity discussion. Although I’ve repeatedly tried both the UE4 sequencer with various settings and tried open-source OBS software for simple captures, neither appears to really work well for me.

If you got an Nvidia gpu, you can do it via geforce Experience Recording tool, it works very well.

1 Like

Obs screen recorder. Its free and it has lots of good feature like it supports 60fps recording

2 Likes

I’m using OBS and it works just fine. You just gotta tweak those settings a bit. I have the quality set to indistinguishable and not lossless because I couldn’t open those files in AE :stuck_out_tongue:

And for GIFs I use https://www.screentogif.com/

2 Likes

I’m recording everything in OBS and then eventually convert to gif here Video to animated GIF converter
Ezgif is great and easy to make optimized gifs, because some gifs tends to be huge.

1 Like

I use screen2gif its really great with lots of usefull features.

1 Like

Im using GeForce Experience for recording screen, and GOM Player, which are free, can pretty easilly create GIFs from any video files.

1 Like

I used gom player long back. Its great video player. I didn’t know that if it converts video to gif.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone - that’s a number of other options I hadn’t come across. It sounds like I should give OBS another try as well so I’ll wrestle with it a bit more today

Edit: I finally managed to find a wonky workflow to get this working with OBS for video output with a secondary viewport and then cropping with screentogif - thanks @jqarlsson and everyone for helping me finally sort this out! :+1:

1 Like