Official VFX Sketch #4: Stormy Skies

Welcome to the fourth Official VFX Sketch!

The Challenge (create an effect based on the following): “Stormy Skies

Submitting: Create a new topic in the “Events > 04 - Stormy Skies” category with your name in the title and the sketch number (e.g.: “Susie Stevens: Sketch #4 WIP”, and post your work! This includes any work in progress you may want to show as well as your final result. Final entries should be posted through either Vimeo, YouTube or as a high quality .gif.

Timeline: One month (Feb. 1st - Feb. 28th 11:59 pm PT)

Scoring and Winners: Sketch badges will be awarded to all participants. Points will be earned based on the amount of likes/buzz your topic receives (hint: show your work in progress ;))

1st Place (most likes and buzz): 1st place VFX Sketch badge
2nd Place (second most likes and buzz): 2nd place VFX Sketch badge
All Participants (put forth a visible worthy effort): participation badge

"Voting": To vote for your favorite entries, all you have to do is drop some love by clicking the like button on any of the owners posts within their topic during the course of the month. This is not the only factor in determining the winners but it is heavily influential in the final results.

As always, if you have any question feel free to ask below!

Good luck and have fun!

4 Likes

For anyone looking for some inspiration, check out these beautiful effects from Halo 2 anniversary:

4 Likes

Oooh, this is very interesting! I might give this a try. :smiley:

1 Like

I like the stylized wall of clouds in the second half of the first vane trailer:

oh, and then the storm in Fury Road is a looker :slight_smile:

2 Likes

spider lightning, so amazing nature :slight_smile:

4 Likes

bonus : crazy guy picking up random snake!

:smiley:

3 Likes

This is a great subject! @mattorialist would have some great submissions on this if he’d stop working so hard :wink:

Missed the last sketch, got quite busy last month and will be more busy this one.

Its to bad, I think this sketch would force me to work outside my comfortbox. If I get some sparetime I might do something very simple

1 Like

Yayyyy … Cant wait to start on this one :blush: I promise I won’t leave it in between like the last sketch :’(

1 Like

Hey no worries! The overall spirit of the challenge is to try your hand at something that you think would be pretty awesome, and possibly learn a couple things. Don’t worry if you don’t quite finish in the end :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat with all of these too. I’m not going to be short of inspiring challenges the next time I find myself with some free time.

I don’t know I’d get time to participate in this contest, but I did try a thing quite sometime back with cloud, little lightening and some heavy rain, Sort of simple stuff. Should I build on it to participate guys?

4 Likes

Its cool, I think you should participate :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, I will see what I can do :slight_smile:

I believe that is Mr. Grubner’s fine work: relicWIP on Vimeo

6 Likes