Official VFX Sketch #23: Cute Magic

(Header background VFX from @Pop2corn)

The Cute Magic Challange:

Rules:
Make an elemental magic effect that reads as cute, cuddly, adorable, or just makes you go “aww!” No faces, ears, arms, hands, legs, or other recognizable body parts allowed. Capture the essence of “cute,” and let it capture our hearts.

Submitting: Create a new topic in the “Events > 23 - Cute Magic” category with your name in the title and the sketch number (Like this : “Bas Ketball: Sketch #23” ), and post your updates to this while the event is running.

When you are finished, edit your first post so it holds the final effect in the form of Youtube/Vimeo Video or High-Quality GIFs.

Important:

• Always cite your sources! Is your work based on that of someone else, let us know. Show your references.
  • All entries must be made during this running period
  • Do feel free to use any tool, system or workflow that pre-existed. Although we encourage experimentation.

Timeline:
May 5th → May 31st 11:59 PST

Scoring and Winning:
We will have some of our very own vfx wizards to judge your work.
These judges will select a favorite and runner up.
Judging criteria includes:

• Create an effect that meets the thematic criteria.
  • Followed the challenge rules.
  • Showed WIP.
  • Work is technically and artistically well-executed.

Badges:
All Participants : Will recieve a participations badge.
Runner up : Will recieve a silver badge and avatar icon.
Favorite : Will recieve a golden badge and avatar icon as well as a video critique by a Master VFX Artist!

Badges_All_03

If you have any questions, Feel free to ask them down below!

Good luck, have fun! :fire:

14 Likes

Hey @NateLane!

In my previous sketch, I kept editing the first post instead of replying multiple times with the WIP.

Which one is the preferred workaround? I mean, I feel like by replying multiple times I might be “flooding” the forums, but I’ve seen some sketches WIP being shown like that.

Thanks! :sparkles:

Hey if you have a meaningful update that has brought progress to your work, don’t hesitate to post it! Bumping your posts could have been abused in older sketches as they were based on likes, but no longer. We are trying out panel judging, so there’s no pressure to always be on the front page if you don’t have an update.

3 Likes

Wow, nice ! Love your challenge themes , quite unusual but still challenging !)

1 Like

Sounds like a fun challenge and it will probably be the first one i make an attempt at.

Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Awsome! I’ll need to start gather some reference and jump into this one ASAP. Good luck and have fun everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quite excited to participate in this as my first sketch challenge, final hand-ins at uni ends this week so finally got some free time on my hand to just play around, and what better topic to mess around with than Cute magic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What do we understand under “elemental”?. I hope you mean just that it’s not supposed to be shader/material focused.

Woah! Great theme! Looking forward to try something hehe! Spread love yall <3

Nothing is said about shader usage. Use shaders as you see fit.

Made a clarification, “elemental” reads now as “elemental magic”. Any elements, or related themes will work. For example, cute light, cute dark, cute earth, cute water, cute fire, cute ice, or roughly related thematics will work. Just make it cute ^^

1 Like

5 Likes

Would there be a place for this in the discord? Or maybe just a link back over here when a new challenge comes out/updates? Could be a good way to keep people updated who use discord a lot :slight_smile:

Nice theme ! Maybe I’ll do something in a week or two, Candyland related :smile:

Candy%20Gnome “Catch me”

4 Likes

Weeeeeeee, that’s a sweet challenge theme! :smiley:

Cute magic is not only pastel and soft colors or round and smooth shapes!:sleepy:
And ref with pastel and soft colors or round and smooth shapes :sweat_smile::

:warning: Kingdom Hearts 3 spoilers ahead! :warning:

2 Likes

I would suggest you to mark this as a spoiler, since I (and perhaps other people) haven’t played the game yet!

You can edit my reply. I don’t know how to make a spoiler.

1 Like

But what about animals and fish?

These are still bodies. The “cute” factor of the effect should be in the elemental magic!

:pensive:

4 Likes