Nicolas Armstrong: Sketch #18 - Hologram - Finished

"Final Update:

"

Hi everyone,

This is my first post ever, so here goes nothing.

I was wondering what I could do for the Hologram sketch and the main idea that popped into my head was some sort of advertisement or news billboard that a player would walk by and it would activate, showing any current development that would be going on in the world. I had also been discovering how to scale a mesh by using WPO inside the material editor, and so far it’s working well. For the rotating disks, I used bump offset to create the depth effect within the material. The animation is made through the use of a blueprint that changes all the parameters of a dynamic material.

This was made using UE4, Photoshop and Maya.

Hologram_WIP%231_Current_State_1

I still want to do quite some more work on it, especially in regards to what its showing. I was thinking of adding one of those news ribbons that keeps panning in one direction, and then some sort of flipbook that would look like news video footage, and of course some more sci-fi techy looking patterns.

Hologram_WIP%231_Material_Parameters_1_1

I love Material Instancing, because it allows me to scrub my parameters and get a feel for how the effect is going to look like before I actually animate it. I always use this approach, because it speeds up my workflow quite a bit.

I also took screenshots of my material and blueprint graphs, and I’ve added my three textures that I’ve used so far, if anyone was interested in what I’m up to under the hood. Feel free to ask any questions.

Textures:

Hologram Material:

Hologram Material Instance:

Particle Material:

Hologram Blueprint:

5 Likes

Update:

Added the rotating news panels, the news ribbon and the video footage flipbooks. I still think it needs a couple extra things, and I want to model a base for it that would make sense in context.

On a funny note, I realized that the WPO I was using was pretty much the same as scaling the mesh, so I removed it. I guess I got too excited with vectors. :sweat_smile:

Anyone have any ideas on what I could add?

I can also post screenshots on the material work if anyone is interested.

8 Likes

Hi Everyone!!

I’ve finished working on this challenge and I’m excited to show you guys.

This was definitely a new type of challenge for me. I’ve never tried to make a material as complicated as this one before, but it was such a fun experience. I’ve learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to work on the next one!

Thank you for following!!!:grin:

4 Likes

very cool, i like all the little detail touches you’ve added.