Niagara Progression Journal

Woooo, thanks @Azeros !

Wanted to do more realistic VFX, coming from an art background we were always told to understand realism before we dabble in stylised as it would compliment our work down the line (like learn anatomy and stuff) Idk if that applies to VFX buuut it can’t hurt to have that info anyway! Here are my barrel explosions :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

Ice Explosion :snowflake:
Sqr_Ice_AdobeExpress
Fire Explosion: :fire:
Sqr_Fire_AdobeExpress
Poison/Toxic Explosion: :skull_and_crossbones:
Sqr_Poison_AdobeExpress (1)
Electric Explosion: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
Sqr_lgt_AdobeExpress
PS: Barrels are from sketchfab

Zombie in a Barrel: Zombie in a barrel - STL - 8K textured - Download Free 3D model by SarahC [19a04c8] - Sketchfab
Lighting Barrel: Sci - fi barrels pack - Download Free 3D model by assetfactory [d0c697f] - Sketchfab
Nuclear Ice Barrel: Nuclear Barrel - Download Free 3D model by DimitriDev (@TheGuayeah) [896fa53] - Sketchfab

7 Likes

Project I’ve been working on for a while is finally up! Feedback :writing_hand:, critiques :wrench: and compliments :two_hearts: always welcome!

1 Like

Hey man, being a VFX Artist myself I have some feedback for you, I’ll list them below, first off, I do really like your colour scheme it’s a good mix and reminds me of a mixture of Arcana and Program skins from LoL. In regards to feedback as a whole.

Your dash has such a huge build up and a cool looking dash but nothing happens. If you’re keeping something building for that long there should be some kind of impact at the end that will make players go “wow look at that” like the reason you would let the build up happen in the first place is because something amazing is supposed to happen.

Your slashes feel a little weak, try and have a look on AS or sword slash gifs, you will tend to find that they are very fast and flashy with a bit of emissive and usually dissolve from one side to the other.

The actual final attack itself is good and I love it but what’s throwing my eyes off is the destruction of the pillar and crystal shield. The pillar spawns way to many rocks that are all pretty much the same size, I would suggest looking at a range of size with a use of at least 70% less rocks. The crystal pieces have a strange velo/grav timing and it makes them feel off. I also think you should look at perhaps having some being quads as well and potentially adding in a dissolve or particle death to them once that hit the ground.

I hope this all helps and is something to think about!

1 Like

Huh, lots I didn’t consider here, thank you for the feedback :muscle: @Jack_o ! I’ll implement it going forwards! Especially the impact, the sword slashes and debris sizes!

1 Like

Great stuff! reference is always a good thing to compare your work too, because you might just miss something :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like