MrBrouchet: Sketch #18 - Hologram

Final version:

First post:
Hologram_01
Trying some weird stuff on this one, but who doesn’t like some challenge ?
I’m trying a “partixel” approach on this one, here I use my particles as screen pixels that are raytracing the scene :sweat_smile: You can see me changing the resolution on the gif.
I know this type of effect can be achieved through post-processing but I find it quite funny to try that with particles.

Next steps:

• Animating a whole startup/end
  • Finding a nicer mesh and texture, maybe animated
  • Polish here and there

Here you can see the “particle clip-plane” formed when I pause the system:
Hologram_02

This is a full #popcornfx v2 effect, 100% particle !

46 Likes

i love the idea! very creative!!

1 Like

Wow that’s so cool, would you mind sharing the process of “partixel” i think many people would like to see more on that (me included :slight_smile:)

Anyway great job man !

No problem, here you can see the part of the graph that compute the particles’ positions on camera plane:

I annotated it so it’s easier to understand.

The basic idea is finding your viewport resolution and using you camera datas (position, vectors, etc.) to stick your particles to a clip-space transform. Depending on the effect, you might need some tweaks, here i’m using a continuous spawn setup so my particle are constantly spawning and dying and ordering themselves on the camera plane, so it acts like a “scanner”, from bottom-left to top-right :slight_smile:

From there I’ve got the screenspace plane, then I do some raycast in the scene from camera position to particle position and modulate my particle color based on the result (if the ray hits something, give the particle it’s color, if not make it transparent).

This effect is heavily based on Julien Bilalte’s implementation of particle raytracing inside PopcornFX v1.

6 Likes

Update with a different mesh:
Hologram_03

I was searching for meshes to use on Sketchfab and I stumbled upon Geoffrey Marchal’s post of this nice Ganesha statue so I went using it and imagining a “futuristic antique store” located somewhere in India.

Here is a gif of the spawning part, still WIP:
Hologram_04

So here I spawn 3 different partixel layers at the beginning with different resolutions so I can have this nice “resolution update/refining”.
Here’s a more HD video of the effect running in the editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F553paa6IHg

17 Likes

Little update on the spawning part.

8 Likes

I love it, it’s awesome ! :open_mouth:

I just think it looked better with the yellow color on the spawning part, it links the effect with the text

1 Like

Thanks ! :slight_smile:
Yea I’m still playing with colors, still searching for nice combos. Thanks for the advice !

Amazing! Right with Assimbly, yellow is better. Maybe you can replace the border bars by a ribbon that follow the outline of the box in every side, or other thing, but without is better.

1 Like

this is RAD!! awesome stuff \m/ may be the top bars can spawn when the cube reached their position!? I don’t know, over all this is amazing , keep rockin \m/

1 Like

Thank you ! :smiley:
Yes I’m planning to polish that overall spawn animation, I’m thinking about something more constructed/sequenced to have a nice building effect.

1 Like

Update on the spawning part, i changed colors and kept the particle grid, and made “corners” to show some kind of box (made from capsule-aligned billboards).
I also kept the “grid floor” part and added some noise on the opacity to get this disco-holographic pattern.

Also added some “VHS distortion” on the partixel to add some perturbation/organic feel.

21 Likes

I really like the calibration bit as it spawns, going from lowres - highres. Great job!

2 Likes

I like everything :star_struck:

1 Like

Really like where this is going! Nice work

1 Like

This is awesome, great effect.

1 Like

I like the idea, this looks really cool. Keep it up! :smiley:

1 Like

Really cool idea ! love the overall scanning/dissolve effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working on a more sequenced spawning part. My plan is:

1. Initialization (loading data from server, startup holographic device, …)
  2. Materialization (device activated and building up the grid)
  3. Calibration (data becomes more precise as it downloads “holographic cache”)
  4. Render (continuous scanning loop, since I envision this as a real-time device)
12 Likes

Little sunday update with some more polish on the first part of the sequence. I tried several ways to get a nice “wavy” effect, and this is what I came up with (kind of full grid+turbulence pattern).
Here is a close-up specific shot of the globe:

9 Likes