Most common / Bread & Butter Shaders and Materials "techniques"?

I’m starting to like it. It even started to resemble the animation I linked :star_struck:
I believe I’m gonna dive into it soon…I just gotta finish some stuff on the dissipation of my explosion and I’ll head to the sphere again!

Heeey Torbach, I felt like I might have let something slip by on past posts and decided to revise some of them!

Noise for edge fun and separated color node seems really interesting! I confess I’ve beens struggling to get my spinning sphere right (the one from #50 Sketch).
Would you have one of those magical screenshots/gifs teaching how to wire things up? :star_struck:

Looking at it again, and I really like it <3 <3
Specially when it looks like this:
I really love this trembling/shaky look. It seems unstable, wavy. And man, how dense it looks, damn. I really like it and want to snatch it hahahaha.

If it’s not troublesome, could you post another gif with MatCap on and off?

that particular issue is conditional to angles as well as premultiplied alpha blending so that it can occlude what is behind it while retaining an additive nature: it was actaully now that I re-examine the example very much accidental when using negative values for my Fresnel inputs
pillthing
it can not actually render within the object, the moving object is drawn after the static one in this example

• 2 Fresnel’s are used to create a ring that is pulled away from the edge
  • this edge that get’s noise applied

an inverted version of Fresnel makes a dot added back with the ring

before they are added however I had a color swatch multiplied to tint them separately

youll notice the 3d sphere has a seam - to fix that you have to either apply noise in object/world space rather than UV or create a seamless noise texture by hand

noise I used is applied twice, 1u,1v and -1.5u,-1.5v so they scrolled in opposing directions and were multiplied to create undulations

one of the tricks here is to add a dot with the noise that feather off as it approaches the edge more harshly so that it does not apply this darkness OR, try to preserve the noise addition in greater contribution

3 Likes

Euphoria levels are raising as I imagine what I will be able to do with this :star_struck: :star_struck:

Man, Fresnel is awesome! All hail Fresnel!

Once again, big thanks, Torbach! You’ve been really helpful ever since I joined :smiley:

This thread turned out to be an awesome resource, great job and thank you everyone :smiley:

Hey, Torbach!

I really liked these orbs at first glance, but I was working on some other stuff at that time and didn’t want to derail myself from that.
But now the time has come!

[Uploading: image.png(1)…]
I specially like these 3 - loved the motion around the core!

General questions:

Are they spheres or billboards?
How do you get these cloudy blobs? Is it some trickery with Fresnel + Noises?

…more or less similar to this?

Now an specific question about the spinning element inside this orb:
Is it just a billboard rotating and spawning in random orientations?

What about the yellow elements inside this one? The way they behave seems fitting for some unstable energy or shockwave feels :star_struck:

Do you have any idea on how to make these dark red slashes that move really quick around the orb?

I’ve been working for 2 days on the anticipation of the orb explosion I made for the Sketch #50 and…still couldn’t make something cool. Everything I made looked waaaay “flat” and dead - looking like a sticker floating on the void :weary:

1 Like

How do you get these cloudy blobs? Is it some trickery with Fresnel + Noises?

just billboard particle, not a complex shader for that element, it is rudimentry trick to hide the shape and add to the illusion

Now an specific question about the spinning element inside this orb:

simple particle + 3d tilt like this

only the hexagon pattern is an actual Sphere with panning textures, there is no sophisticated shader on those orbs, they are made with very rudimentary objects for mobile hardware in 2017

What about the yellow elements inside this one?

that is the same as the green to the left of it but rotated to look ‘down’ the circle interference from the pole
it has a texture like the yellow too it’s circles/waves that pan but they are offset on UV coord so they work destructively to create an illusion of rotation

shapes like this

Do you have any idea on how to make these dark red slashes that move really quick around the orb?

exactly : they could be flipbooks ----but you can handle it like the trail +erode from Shannon’s threads , just place them on ring mesh (the glows/bloom however might be a post processes but you could fake it too)

as for the red/dark on the ground that is flipbook on double sided mesh that has different tint vertex coloring as far as I can tell

Oh so it’s possible to set actual Trails to be rendered on a Mesh instead of heaving them floating on
space?

Edit: actually nevermind! I think I got the idea. I have to set the textures panning to happen on the mesh so it behaves like a trail! [?]. Then I can just rotate the ring mesh or stick with tweaking the panning values I think.
I’ll give it a go tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like