Hi everyone, I’m a junior VFX artist. A lot of times when I make effects, I end up using materials made by others. I want to know if there are any tutorials that show how to create the kinds of materials below.(Because English is not my native language and my English is pretty bad, I often use translations, so I hope everyone can understand.)
I think it comes with a lot of practice and observation, you could find good resources by searching about each specific kind of textures or even by using non directly related keywords to what you are trying to achieve, I often stumble across pretty good tutorials for textures that aren’t meant to be for vfx but its actually very close to what I was looking for
Thanks for sharing. It seems like this teacher used to have a course on our site, but it was taken down later.
I’m using Unreal Engine, and I already have some basic knowledge of materials. I’ve watched Ben Cloward’s material courses before, but what I really want to know is how these textures should be implemented.
For ground decals, you can take a look at the parallax occlusion mapping technique, it’s pretty easy to use. You just need a height map (Take T_Mask_015.png as an example). Additionally, with the help of a normal map, you can also enhance the illusion of depth a little more. This video doesn’t show you how to create a ground decal material from scratch, but it should cover the topic pretty well. I’d give it a try!
Thanks, actually I’m more interested in learning how to make these textures. I had a teacher who taught me the principles of parallax materials in UE when I was just starting out with VFX, but back then they didn’t teach how to create the textures themselves.

