Justin Cherry - 2016 VFX Reel

I’ve been pressured by several people about joining here, so I’m finally taking the plunge lol. :joy:

The clips range from 2014-2016. Most of the footage is from Evolve/Cryengine, aside from the two explosions near the end which were created in UE4.
All footage captured in-engine, with only color correction done for post-processing.

Artstation Link (with screenshots):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vB4P6

Previously I released some concept work (mostly for the effects) here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LRkDK

Thanks for watching!

40 Likes

Some lovely effects work there. And some it was really disgusting… but in a fantastic way :smiley:

2 Likes

Well done, there several parts I would like to know more about!

I am wondering mostly how do you approach making fluids, Is there anything you like to highlight about that progress? You have a wide-range of variety with fluidly elements but maybe just a general idea you want to share?

I really liked the effects at 02:08, just awesome to watch. Makes me just want to stomp those egg things!
presentationwise its really great, but maybe a bit to long? Not sure what I would want to cut out thou

1 Like

Beautiful work, as always, Justin! Hope all is well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! The fluid work was mostly done using meshes with sine wave vertex deformation (something that was really useful in Cryengine that I’ve carried onto working in UE4). For 2:08 - with the meshes, there was also a flipbook texture of roiling smoke applied to a decal with a high spec value. That particular clip was before Cryengine implemented their version of PBR, so the outer shells had a custom environment map. Later on when we did have PBR, the environment map was just taken from the environment probes. Sometimes I would use a twist modifier on the meshes, and then oscillate a texture on the UVs to give additional “wobbliness”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some Giger vibes going on! Really impressive work man. Yeah those bubbles are so damn cool. I assume your bubble at 0:45 is with a similar technique? Is the outside of it just a scrolling normal?

1 Like

Yup, same technique! There is a secondary shell with a scrolling normal (some drippy line tiling texture)

Wow, amazing reel! I really loved all the liquid type effects you pulled off! They feel very fluid.

I also really liked the monster spamming the hip thrusts :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you! The thrusts were a favorite around the office :joy: - for a while it was the header gif for our internal VFX page.

Awesome work! Loving all the bubbly type effects :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really loved everything! Awesome work. :smiley:

1 Like

After watching your reel, I feel like I know as much as John Snow. Truly awesome work! I’ll be using it as reference and quality comparison for quite some time

1 Like

Thanks everyone! :blush:

think we have a winner :smiley:

Enjoyed see the effects when playing evolve, but after seeing your reel, the game doesn’t do them justice…

1 Like

Awesome reel man… love the bubbly stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

The detailed concepts paired with beautiful animation and style, majestic!

1 Like

Thats some awesome stuff. Lovely to watch. Keep sharing your work!

1 Like

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all of the kind words. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome work ! Really love all your effects :astonished:

1 Like

Fantastic Reel mate, Loved the explosions at the end in-particular

1 Like