Joey Bullock - Sketch#60: Earth Bender

Final Submission:

slab_shackles(lossy)
fist_formation(lossy)
fist_impact(lossy)

Stone Fist:
My main effect will be an Earth Bender charging up a special attack, causing the surrounding rocks to form into the shape of a giant stone fist that will be used to attack the enemy. I’m thinking most likely a downward hammer-fist attack.
Aside from the charge up, I want this to have a few distinct beats, hit super hard on the final impact, and really convey the weight of a massive fist made of stone. This is somewhat of a variant of the Rock Glove technique used by the Dai Li.

Quick Sketch:
I am the farthest thing from an illustrator, but just to put something on the page…

I also want to try some “Slab Shackles” like Aang used against Ozai to keep the enemy still during the charge up phase.

Proof of Concept:
The first thing I started testing is a way to animate the formation of the fist from rock shapes. Here’s a viewport render of my current Houdini simulation.
stoneFist_test1(lossy)

Cheers!

12 Likes

Update 12/10/23:
I have decent blockout for my scene in Unreal.
The environment is crucial for Earth Bending, so I’m making a custom landscape. (I will try more plateaus & canyons next iteration)
I have a hard time making VFX in a vacuum, so I animated some characters to tell a little story. All of their animation is pretty much done.
The RBD sim for the fist is nearly dialed in, although I will iterate for more punchiness and secondary motion.
I realize this is already lengthy, but my plan is to get a lot of dynamic camera angles, play with time-dilation for dramatic moments, and make this feel more like an in-game cutscene.
Most of the tedious work is done, I have a foundation to start building VFX on, so now the fun stuff really begins. :smiley:
stoneFist_blockout1(lossy)
stoneFist_blockout2(lossy)

1 Like

Sorry I couldn’t take pictures “under the hood” until now. Here’s some of my process for building this scene:

I started by animating some Mixamo characters. I knew I wanted Abe to cast Slab Shackles, so I would need Ybot’s arms to be sticking out on either side, hence the double sword draw.
ybot_animation
abe_animation

Abe has vertex color masks to control things like emission and wind influence. He also has a 2nd UV channel so I can do a simple panner on the V-axis and move aura energy from his feet up and out to the top of his head and tips of his fingers.

abe_aura_vfx
sword_trail_vfx

Slab Shackles were modeled using simple blocky shapes with edge damage. I ended up fracturing these in engine in order to make use of some of Unreal’s new chaos physics tools.
slabShackle_fracture_anim
slabShackle_chaos_physics

The stone fist was modeled by taking Abe’s fist as a reference, and arranging boxes along the bones in his hand. They were beveled, edge-damaged, and fractured in Houdini.
stonefist_fracture

I used DOPs to simulate lowpoly RBD objects colliding with each other while SOPs pushed each piece towards their target position in the fist fracture. I could then use those piece IDs to copy that that data onto the high poly fracture pieces and bake it all into a lightweight FBX animation.
stonefist_formation_sim

The environment was an opportunity to embed my art direction for Abe’s earth bending into the landscape itself.

I made a few texture sets for some stylized dirt and rocks, and decals for where the earth-bent elements meet the ground.

The anime lines are a very simple way to make a character animation look way more dramatic than it is. :sweat_smile:
anime_lines_material

I have been pulling a few of my most used “uber” shaders from project to project - refining, adding onto, and improving them each time. It’s a major time saver!

Lastly, I made this more of a cutscene than a gameplay moment, so I was experimenting with different kinds of camera moves that would emphasize the action.
camera_anims

2 Likes

Haha, so fun story. That old man just heard the loud sound of the assassin’s blade. Some unprofessional killer :grin: :grin:

1 Like