JAMINET Jordan : Sketch #6 WIP

Hi everyone,

This is my entry for the starfleet event. I am doing my effect with PopcornFx !

This is where I am for now, I have some ideas to improve it, but i think it’s a good sketch for now.
I wish I can add some complexity on it. Hope you like it !

Critics are welcomed :smiley:

Here are my inspiration, mainly for the balance between organic and technology.

6 Likes

Hey there :slight_smile:

This is where I am for now :

I decided to turn the color on something more conventionnal than a weird green color.
I tweaked some effect and add a little distortion on the effect.

I also worked a little on the apparition and the timing. Still a lot things to do to turn it interresting. I’ll try to upload a video later, the gif compress a lot the effect, we lose a lot compare to the true render.

Hope you like it, and critics are still welcomed :smiley:

1 Like

color is looking nice imo,
i’d suggest varying the size on the small particle, give some longer streaks too and lets see them die off a bit more at the end

Hi buddy, thank you for your advices.

I will definitely tweak the particles, I’m not completely satisfied with them for now. I guess you’re right about the lifetime and the shape.

Thank you :smiley:

Hi there,

This is an update of my effect :

I integrate it on UE4 and setup a little scene !

For the improvment, I tweaked the Particles, add some little Ribbon, add lights, and the smoke system that spawn when the reactor is near the ground.
I also add a screenshake, because screenshakes are cool !

Also, I create the animation in order to show that the effect goes perfectly with movements, and can be easily integrate on a game engine !

Oh and yes, I also have some input in order to change the camera location in game !

Hope you’ll like it, and critics are still welcomed :smiley:

2 Likes

Burn marks in the ground when you point it at the ground?

Looking rad! Only thing that catches my eye is that the smoke is traveling faster than the actual booster sparks/flame when it seems like it should be the other way around. That’s awesome that the dirt kickup is activating the closer to ground it gets. I’d love to see how that is actually setup!

wyvery15h
Burn marks in the ground when you point it at the ground?

Oh yes nice one. It’s not very difficult to do, but give a very good feeling, I will try to do that, thanks :smiley:

Petrie14h
Looking rad! Only thing that catches my eye is that the smoke is traveling faster than the actual booster sparks/flame when it seems like it should be the other way around. That’s awesome that the dirt kickup is activating the closer to ground it gets. I’d love to see how that is actually setup!

Thanks mate :smiley:
Yeah I guess you’re right for the speed feeling, I will see what I can do for that.
Actually, for the dirt, I used PopcornFx, and I can easily make some event relative to collision. I will show you with Gif how I manage to do it :slight_smile:

As you can see here, I spawn a particle with no render in order to have “a cheap raytrace” : this particle have a little Lifetime, and a high Velocity relative to the scene axis up (so I can change the game engine, the effect will always work :smiley: )
This particles die on contact, and in PopcornFx, the grid has collider so we can see directly how events based on collision will change your effect.

With this particles, I can check if the reactor is near the ground, by adjusting my values. Then, I had a simple event with the collision : when this particle hit the ground, spawn the dust effect. Directly in this effect, I tweaked the values in order to adjust the velocity of the dust, depending of the height and the reactor velocity, and also adapt the number of particles spawn according to the height. After that, it’s just tweaking for the feeling I want !

As you can see on this Gif, the particles not collide because they life is too little. Voilà :smiley:

If you have any question about it, I’m still here and glad to answer :smiley:

3 Likes