I need to put a "world space" shader to a character (like a buff effect) but following the UVs is a bit of a problem

Hi, I’m making a material that covers the character. Using the UVs is a bit of a problem as it’s showing seems in the tileable panning texture. I thought of using world space coordinates but as the character is moving it seems as if the character is moving “through the texture”. Not sure how to explain it in english, I want the pattern to be “stack” on the character not change as he moves. Any suggestions or youtube tutorials? I haven’t had much luck finding useful results yet

if this is unreal-engine, look at the pre-skinned material nodes. there is one called pre-skinned local bounding box uv (if I am correct) that applies a gradient from bottom to top (and left-to-right) to skeletal meshes, and animations wont affect it as its pre-skinned.

7 Likes

This is it! Thank you!! It’s all working!

1 Like

Glad you got it working! :slight_smile:

Can you post your shader graph? I can’t seem to figure out how this works with a texture sampler

Hi I’m really sorry I just saw this message. Do you still need help with this?

I copied this network from the UE4 docs

What was great is I discovered that you can still use the UVs of the mesh should you want to by using a TexCoord and index of 3 (since 0, 1 and 2 are remapped)

1 Like