How to scale Niagara systems in Unreal Engine 4?

Hello, this is probably a stupid question but I’m new to working with game engines and couldn’t find the answer on Google. How can I control the scale of my particle systems in UE4? When I try to scale it in the level nothing happens.

You don’t.
In general you never scale a particle system as there are too many things inside that would need to scale at different rates to make sense.

1 Like

@LearningVFX
It depends on what you are trying to do.
If you want it to apply the scale part of the transform matrix, I think the currently local space response is setup to apply the system scale. (however it seems to be somewhat inconsistent)
I personally think this is a horrible idea which causes nothing but problem for parented effects, but that’s how it is.

However scale response can be a useful thing as well.
For example you could you read it in on your shape location module to allow for adjusting spawn range in a natural way in the level for field effects.
Or you could take over s,m,l response by saving of scale x to a system parameter, then adjust which particles spawn, and at which scale etc, based on that system parameter.
There’s ton’s of things that could make sense depending on the effect you are currently making.

Just don’t try to scale it like a mesh, particle systems aren’t meshes.

1 Like