How to achieve an effect?

Hey guys,

I have an idea for an effect that I’m struggling to think of the best way to tackle so I wanted to ask for some advice.

The effect is essentially to create something that looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLoJzOedjAI

A sort of ‘ink-in-water’ effect, that moves ‘randomly’ around an area (inside the shape of a glass cube), producing these inky trails moving up, down, left, right, etc.

I’ve not touched Houdini or Maya for fluid simulation yet so not sure where to begin to learn the theory of how to make this.

Does anyone have any tips, or resources they think would help point me in the right direction. Or, how would you achieve this?

Thanks for all your help!
Chris

My approach would be;

• too do a particle simulation in Houdini (Lots of tutorials and guidelines for smoke like particle behaviour if you look online and at odforce (Houdini forums)

• For example I usually make a simple smoke simulation and advect my particles using the smoke simulation wish gives a wispy look. (node is called pop advect by volumes inside particle/pop networks) You need a very high particle count. Make this loop - render to texture and use as flipbooks for particles in cascade/Niagara.

Will require a few hours of learning Houdini but shouldn’t be too much :slight_smile: hope this helps,

C.

1 Like

Hey again Chris, thanks for the help! I’ve been playing around with the advect node today and I’ve managed to get my head around it, it’s exactly what I was going for, so cheers!

1 Like