How can i make UV map on the sphere?

hello every one! I want to create shield like winston shield from overwatch
how can i make uv map for sphere without seam? :thinking:

You can make the seam at the base of the sphere

2 Likes

Thank you :pray:
I want the texture to move from top to bottom, if I do as you say, can I make a move in the shader in ue4? Because it seems to me it’s impossible. :disappointed:

No problem.
Try using a panner node on a texture and if that doesn’t work for a winston shield try this tutorial

3 Likes

Thank you a lot! in this video he use default sphere, so i think it’s okay for this FX. I thought it’s problem, because default sphere has pole and if you look to it top down it becomes visible.

You’re right, there are a few catches to solving this. If you want a secondary texture to move vertically along the sphere, you can consider using a second UV map just for that texture - I suspect this is what they’ve done on the original effect’s glowy ring that moves up and down. With this approach, your base texture can use UV’s to minimize the pole, and your secondary texture can use UVs to allow cheap translation.

If two UV sets don’t solve the problem for you, you can also move textures in shaders using other techniques besides simple panning. With top-down spherical UV’s, you can consider using the “flow” technique and provide a spherical flow direction to match. Searching for “UV Flow” or “Flow UV” should bring up a few resources on how to accomplish this .

1 Like

You can move your UV coordinates to radial in the material, have them pan “in” or “out” of the center, and if you set your texture sample to derivative, it will get rid of the seam.

4 Likes

Woah! That… is a fantastic trick that I didn’t realize Unreal supported!

I didn’t either. I remember I was trying to do radial (polar coordinate) textures that panned and I kept getting a terrible seam on it. I tried just setting it to uncompressed, and it fixed it, but Wyeth jumped in super quick and swatted me on the hand for that. He made the suggestion of setting the texture sample to derivative to fix that, and from asking around, having it set to derivative is basically* free for performance.

I used it a ton for the portals in Darksiders 3

1 Like

Thank you for response! but I still don’t know, how derivative texture can solve my problem?
My problem is pole of spherical shield. When i try use your suggestions, i get this

I made static texture without pole, but if I use it, I can’t use some effects like wave and etc, which i want flow top dawn.

Now I use default sphere.
image%20(2)

This is shader

It will be great, if i can make this effect without pole

1 Like

Thank you! could you give me link to documentation or tutorial, how can i use 2 UV map on 1 mesh? I’m new to this :worried:
I looked some information about UV Flow, but it seems to me -this is not my case, or I was looking bad

I’m sorry, the DDX/DDY fix was for polar coordinates seam fix in Unreal.

Ex:
Standard tex sample

Moved to polar/raidal coordinates

But you get this nasty seam! :scream:

But! Changing your tex sample MipMode to Derivative and using DDX/DDY will fix the seam :+1:

So you could use this with your current UVs and pan you texture that way. It does add some cost, but just to show off in a demo it’s fine. Keep at it, your shield looks awesome so far!

7 Likes

Thank you! i run to try :hugs:

Travis, I managed to remove the seam, but I have a new problem. i use this texture

and i need tiling it, but i can’t understand how can i make it for radial? do you know some way to do it? because now i have this

I remember awhile back I asked Joe, How he created https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSEB_WOFi8Y This was his approach. " I m pretty sure I made it using the soccer ball. Then used the second uv set to have each faces uvs be as small as possible, so I can lift each face all at once." Unsure if this helps, but thought I’d share.

2 Likes

Shoot, I never replied to this. So the VectorToRadialValue is going to be your new UV coordinate, so you can multiply that by a vector to tile it, and plug it into a panner node, etc

1 Like

if you use normal coords for the hexes and radial coords for the noise it should look good when using the circle uv map

you could also make a sphere like this one

2 Likes