Holdimprovae :: VFX Sketchbook

This is insane, your timing is always so tight and punchy, love it

1 Like

It is just camera shake and motion blur
The watermark can be affected by the Unreal post-process because it is actually placed in the level as a decal actor.

1 Like

I’m glad that the fierce and lively action of Wind Force seems to have been well presented :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently participated in Eternal Ascent 3d community challenge,
I was wondered that how far I can go during one month biggest community challenge as Real-time game vfx artist.

I chose Hellenistic Geometry as my theme. It’s about ancient mathematicians being empowered by the force of geometric entity, construct stairs on the spot, and continuing to ascent.

and I used heterogeneous volume first time, Placing static volumes in the background frame by frame worked well to construct the visuals as intended.

15 Likes

Your attention to detail, animation ability, and ability to create a very evocative atmosphere are always super impressive to me!

1 Like

Thank you! I would like to try something new next time as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been a month since I finished Eternal Ascent, and I already working on a new sketch currently,

I’ve already mentioned this on Discord once, but I feel it’s necessary to leave it for someone’s reference on the forum as well. (And I’ll explain the rest of the techniques IF there are any special requests :slight_smile: )

The method of transitioning the stairs has been implemented using a commonly known and simple approach.

The intended visual is to make the process of stair generation appear like a single sketch.
Thus, the stairs have been divided into three Static Mesh parts:

1. Damaged aqueduct stair
  2. Auxiliary lines
  3. Constructed marble stair

The rest is simple. just need to blend the alpha of each mesh’s material.
I used SphereMask here.

As you probably know, The SphereMask node is used to determine whether a point A is inside or outside a sphere, with the center of the sphere being point B, and takes inputs for radius and hardness, returning a value between 0 and 1.

and this is… full material for stair surface, but, the overall nodes are not essential for this method.
Most of them was used to control the PBR materials of the stairs.

Here’s where the transition is directly implemented. Each sphere mask gets input values from parameters in the Material Parameter Collection, managed by keyframes in the sequencer.

4 Likes