GoldenNebula : Embergen Challenge

Good Day Everyone!

Let the fun begin! :smiling_imp:

FINAL RESULT:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! :smiley:

My first update for this challenge! I decided I would destroy a little house.

So I went on turbosquid to find a free 3D model that I could adapt to my needs for the challenge:
3D old Tudor House by lucifer1101

I jumped into maya to add backfaces, some glass to a few windows, open some shutters and split the parts for different materials.

And after a week I was finally able to simulate the destruction based on a tutorial: FirstDestruction

But since it is for realtime I reduced the amount of pieces and decided that a lot of flying pieces would be a particle Meshes KUH-BOOM :bomb: :boom::
DestructionFinal
I will merge all static meshes together and export as an animation.

I am currently fidgeting with EmberGen to make the fire, explosion, dust and smoke flipbooks.

I will send updates in a few days!

Cheers! :woman_cartwheeling:

Hi Everyone!

Alright, so here is another update!

I have done done differents flip books from EmberGen for my PS in Unreal:

DUST
BIGFIRE
SMALLFLAME
EXPLOSION
SMOKE

I will send updates soon on the materials done in Unreal.

Cheers!! :grin:

1 Like

Good morning Everyone! :slight_smile:

Here are last updates for the challenge:

I have changed the animation a bit, so it explodes a little more but with less pieces. I am planning to add mesh particles for more pieces. Here is what it looks like in unreal:
FINAL_EXPLOSION_UNREAL

I then worked on the textures. I used the following base materials I found on substance share:

And here is the result:
TEXTURED

I exported the static pieces and the animated pieces separately. They both use the same texture maps and I assembled them in a blueprint:
EXPLOSIONWTEXTURE

Here is the master material I recreated from what I saw in a live stream made by Nick Seavert 10 months ago, that I adapted to my needs:

  • I added the possibility to use a second normal map (Derivative normal available as en export in EmberGen)
  • create and enable a slow down in the flipping speed
  • use different dimensions of flipbook (ex: 4x4 instead of 8x8)
  • use time instead of only particle relative time.
  • I added the possibility to change and control the color in the particle systems
  • and a parameter to control the Fade Distance



I hope Andreas Glad won’t be mad for the normals :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

And here is a Bashing of the PS with the static part to give an idea of what it will look like. I still have a lot of work to do on the timing, the consistency, the shockwave, the embers the smoke and the fire. But hey, I was eager to share it! :slight_smile:
ezgif.com-gif-maker

I will send update next week!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello!
Here is my last update for the Challenge, I still have few thing to refine but it’s almost there!!

I used the Medieval Kingdom Content environment available on the Unreal Market to offer a context to the simulation. I chose the Map #5 and changed a corner to give the mood I needed. Here is what it looks like so far:

If you have any comments, feel free to share!

Cheers!! :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Good Day Yall! :slight_smile:

Here is my final Update!!

I have worked on a burned texture for the house that would appear slowly after the explosion trigger :

I have aslo reworked the fire placement and created a variety of size for fire and for the debris smoke!

I have submitted my final product with the form, but I also added it to the first post in this thread. I have learned so much in this challenge, and it was a great opportunity to experiment with the new EmberGen software (that has AMAZING presets btw)!!!

I hope you enjoy what you see and feel free to comment! :slight_smile:

Cheers! :raised_hands: :woman_cartwheeling:

Here’s a quick reminder that this Challenge closes this evening! Don’t forget to submit your final video to JangaFX using this Form if you’ve yet!

For the full rules and instructions, visit our original post here: