Despite being almost 7 months away preparations for GDC 2019 are beginning! First order of business is to get the boot-camp planning started so we can submit an initial plan to GDC.
2019 BOOT-CAMP CALL FOR IDEAS: This year I am taking the baton from Fred Hooper (who did an amazing job last year) and organizing the day long VFX Boot-Camp. If you have an idea for a talk, a topic you want covered, or would like to be considered to give a talk please email me directly @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to that I think GDC can be a great yearly “loop point” for our community to organize around. For example last year I pitched the idea of promoting the #RealTimeVFX hashtag as our theme for GDC, which led to an open call for real time logo treatments, and then spawned some other ideas like the 2018 reel I pulled together from this site and played at the event, and some #RealTimeVFX T-shirts, etc.
This year I would like to spread that work out through the community and formalize things a bit so we can take it up a notch.
I have a list of ideas but I would love to see suggestions and discussion of what the community thinks in the thread below.
MY REALTIMEVFX COMMUNITY IDEAS:
RTVFX Council. You may or may not know that there is a group of people who have been in the community for years who chat in the back channels and have made a lot of the amazing things happen for the community like this forum, events, etc.
– I suggest we formalize those positions to some degree by publishing a list of existing members and adding people to the list as we see fit. The idea is to give credit for hard work but also give visibility in and outside of the community for the best points of contact.
– A Council Alumni title could be used for people on the council who are taking a low participation year or retiring from the game.
RTVFX yearly roles. This is where we crowdsource the efforts each year in the community and give people a chance to get more involved with the inner workings of the community. Some of these already exist, some I am pitching:
– Boot Camp Organizer
– Web Site Admins
– FB Group Admins (managing join requests etc.)
– Event Planners (collecting sponsors, planning the GDC meetup event, more events?)
– Community Reel/Awards? (Collect the best examples from the community each year, make a reel to highlight the community , organize a RTVFX awards!!! my personal dream)
– Community Builders (a general title to cover different efforts planned by the community each year) For example…
T-shirts/ Fundraising: Lots of people were interested in the T-shirts last year but I only made a few. I was thinking we could make up a proper batch and sell them in the community. The proceeds could go to the cost of the site but once we have covered that I would really love to use it to equalize travel costs for speakers and sponsor student travel to GDC.
What do you think? What other roles could there be? Would you like to get more involved in the community and help out?