GDC 2018 VFX Bootcamp: Panel and questions

I cringed as well. May have to do conference associate just to go

Might be too late to this thread, but some sort of discussion on the impact of platform. Obviously there are different technical limitations that must be considered, but there is also demand for slightly different skillsets. This is especially important in any discussion focused on breaking into VFX, your skillset will need to fit the studio and product.

Side note: Working in mobile games, seeing breeding edge VFX for next gen consoles is always bring about a mix of inspiration, jealousy, and motivation.

Hey all,

I’m just getting started in VFX (coming from modeling/texturing) and I’m wondering if you guys think that the GDC VFX Bootcamp is something that I should attend as a beginner without a solid demo reel?

I saw what @Travis posted about getting started (thank you!) and will check it out ASAP. But from people who have gone before, is the ~$1000 worth it for someone just starting in VFX, or is it more a discussion series for those who are already working (or at least have a working knowledge).

I’ve talked with a friend who is also starting out, and they think it would be a lot of hands-on tutorials and demos that would be invaluable to learning VFX. I’m just not sure that’s the case and would appreciate any feedback.

The bootcamps and (idk if Tutorials got lumped with bootcamps or scrapped all together) are good no matter your level because it’s FX artists talking about what they’ve learned, workflows and techniques. For someone who is just starting out in FX it’s probably more beneficial to you than the Roundtables, which from what I remember is mostly a room full of artists talking shop and what the future holds.

The tutorials aren’t actually a room full of computers where you learn things hands on; it’s pretty much a panel of FX artists each talking about a topic of their choice. Great for taking notes, but nothing hands on.

EDIT: if it’s your first GDC you will get much more out of it than someone who’s gone a few times before. After you’re done with the Bootcamp stuff on Mon-Tues, you have the rest of the week to check out the expo hall and all the other booths and stuff. It’s cool, but usually the same kind of stuff each year so a returning GDC goer will breez through all of that in half a day.

1 Like

I’ve been to GDC17. The bootcamp is great but all the lectures are going to be available online at some point. What is really great about GDC is meeting people and share experiences + round-tables.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that the round tables aren’t put online by GDC and that the bootcamp and the rest of the talk will be online but you have to pay to view.

1 Like

Very good point. Someone usually takes notes, but since the round tables are interactive you definitely miss out on that aspect.

1 Like