Fluid sims in a reel

Hey guys, just wanting to know what you guys(and hopefully people in the supervisor role) think of having a fluid sims in a reel. Does it put you off if you label yourself as a real-time vfx artist, but then including one or two pieces of fluid sims. Or is it just better to just have purely real-time vfx pieces in it?
Thanks, give me your thoughts

I’ve heard this a few times and asked it myself. For me, the overall answers seemed to be leave it out, since you are going for a real time job. Unless you show either a side-by-side comparison, or a before and after of your sim converted into a real time effect in engine. Especially if it’s complex or looks really good, like a photo-realistic waterfall or fire. If your sim looks amazing, showing that you can pull the same quality into a game environment is a big plus, but if you sim something like a candle flame or just some rain splashes, I’d leave it out.

2 Likes

I’ve seen examples when there have been fluid sims mixed in, where the quality of the fluid sim made it really hard to tell if this was a great realtime effect, or a very average prerendered one. That’s not a good spot to be. To be on the safe side, Id make two reels if you feel the fluidsims are good enough to help you land a realtime gig.

1 Like

make great fluid sim and convert it to the realtime fx source :slight_smile: