Feedback on my VFX

Hi all!

I’ve been working on creating VFX for my next short film. I’ve connected all the meteor shower scenes throughout the film to make a short sequence for review.

It was all made inside of After Effects using rotoscoping layers, mocha tracking and luma keys. Also, a blue colour grade and fake anamorphic flares to give a stylized nighttime look. I was wondering if any VFX artists could give any feedback and how I could improve the look even more.

Please Watch In 4K To Get The Best Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTYO80pZ2jY&feature=youtu.be

Thank you!

Welcome @UserDeleted! I’m sure some people on here could certainly give you some feedback, although just for some clarification on the forum, it’s exclusively dedicated to making effects in real-time in game engines like Unreal 4 and Unity. While a lot of people here have some experience with After Effects, we don’t really work on offline rendering and compositing like film and TV use. Just a friendly heads up in case you don’t get the feedback or engagement you were looking for :slight_smile:

Since your post is looking for feedback, the General Discussion section is perfectly fine, but if you ever want to just share stuff you’ve made, there’s a “Personal Work” category we’d recommend using. We also typically ask that for posting personal work, you keep a continuous thread going instead of making a new topic for each project (We’ve had problems in the past with people spamming the forum with a bunch of new topics for individual effects).

Hope the forum will be helpful to you, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 Like

Thanks for your informative response!

No problem, that’s what we’re here for, and everyone is here to learn :slight_smile:

For feedback at least on the visuals of the effect, the meteors feel a bit too square. I’m not sure if that’s something you have control of or not.

Are the clouds in this shot natural from the filming, or were they comped in over the original sky?

1 Like

Yes, the clouds in that shot were composited onto the clip. It was done to make the sky look more dramatic than what we had originally.